1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is all well at Lintone Audio?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by edward, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Lintone Audio have done many TAG owners a favour by putting out TAG kit at great prices but what do you make of the following:

They sold a 2 year old DVD32FLR on eBay to a single bidder at their starting price of £700. I called to see if they had others. Mark said they were getting another 2 year old one in the following week. I called back and he told me that it would be £1200. When I pointed out that I could buy a new one for that he simply said “I know”. When I asked why anyone would pay that price in the circumstances, he said it was up to me.

A few days later, Lintone post their latest 2 year old one on eBay, again at £799. This time, despite 160 viewings, it got no takers. I called him to ask about buying it and he insisted that he wanted £1000 but might take £950. I explained that by the time he’s paid eBay, he’d have got only 750 in his pocket, out of the 799 he was offering it for and asked him why the sudden price hike . He rejected my offer to buy on the grounds that “That was yesterday”.

To me, this sounds a little irrational and I was a bit rattled not to have been able to buy it (never did like shop assistants with attitude problems) but upon reflection I pleased to have seen it. The last time I encountered something like this, I found out later the guy was under acute business pressure and in fact went out of business in less than 6 months. I’m not saying that this will happen to Lintone Audio but you have to wonder about the integrity of a business where someone with Mark’s approach to business can prosper. If he is giving a 6 month shop warranty, it will have less value if the shop goes out of business.

For those who intend to buy from them, it might be prudent to find out about warranties and protection of deposits.

2. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    In defence of Mark @ lintone i have found him and the others very helpful

BUT

i believe that this unit was a part ex unit..

Imagine their position i own loads of Tag kit i approach them and order a New Meridian system we agree on the prices and a deal is done.

My new kit is on order and then IAG drop their OLD stock for silly prices

Would you then renegoiate the deal or just swallow the price you paid and then try to get as much back as possable

I think this is clearly what is being done i am not related in anyway i live 125 miles away :D

Is there not any other TAG DVD32FLR's out there :confused:

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Never been too impressed with this company :(

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I accept your point, Adrian, but he had just sold one for 799 before he got this second one in, so he know what the market thought they were worth. He would have to factor this into the price he paid for the second one, surely. The fact that IAG was dropping stuff on the market cannot have come as a surprise to him - he sold a whole pile of it weeks before he took delivery of this unit. In fact, when I spoke to him two weeks ago, he was still negotiating with the owner.

Anyway, all that should be transparent to me as a potential customer for the unit.

The behavior I think is erratic is the pricing. First he wants 1200 for it; them a few days later he's willing to take 799 (750 net) for it; then he rejects offers in that range because he now wants 950 - 1000 for it. I find it difficult to make sense of this behaviour from someone who wants to sell the thing.

As I've said, erratic behavior like this cannot be a good sign. Buyers ignore this sort of thing at their own risk.

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Well if buyers are worried they can go to Experian and do a risk report on them....................

6. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You’re right, Kenny.

It does seem a pain to have to do this but it should help. What I don’t know is how often Experian does the sampling upon which it bases its credit report. If it was only an annual company return or an assessment when they have applied for credit, it might not reveal the current state of the business.

We need to keep this in perspective – I don’t actually know there is a problem with Lintone Audio. It’s just that I don’t think everything is quite right there. We each have to make up our own mind about what interpretation we put on what I saw and reported.

One of the great benefits of this forum, and many of us have already seen it, is that it allows us to share intelligence to protect TMA kit owners and would-be TMA kit owners. You’d have grounds for being grumpy if I failed to report this and you subsequently lost a deposit or bought kit with a shop warranty that wasn’t there when you needed it. If it wasn’t for that, I’d say my unsuccessful attempt to do business with them was no-one else’s affair.

7. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Edward

Experian updates its data daily and is not solely reliant on Companies House information like nearly every other CRA. They include various other (more up-to-date) variables like payment performance. A set of accounts will only tell you how a company was at that date (eg : 31/03/04).

I ordered a 100x5R in black from Lintone and ended up with a silver one which still sits in the box un-opened :eek: Apart from that I thought that their service was good and were very friendly and courteous :thumbsup:

8. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Are we not treading a fine line here as i know Lintone Audio frequent these forums.

We do not want their name blackened or this forum blamed for anything

And kennyGlasgow i told you i will give it a good home :smashin:

9. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Edward i'm not sure about this but why not speak to the owner direct.

I am not sure what mark's postion is but you never know it might do the trick

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    AMCross

Exactly!! As I stated, even tho' I got a silver 100x5R instead of black they still treated me well and I've no complaints.

Again, as I stated, if anyone is worried they can carry out a check on them, just as any company would if you were buying from them on credit.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Just my 5p's worth....

Firstly,Lintone do have an occasional presence here,but that should not dissuade anyone with a genuine problem to point that out.

Secondly,the price at which a dealer prices his goods is obviously his choice,and if it's priced above the market rate,then as edward had pointed out in his original post,"it got no takers".

If the dealer then chooses to readvertise other similar goods at higher prices etc,once again it's his choice,and the market will either buy it or ignore it.

The other side of the selling price being high,and staying high may simply be that the dealer is in no hurry to sell,but does want the maximum price for it.

As others above have said,a credit check tells you only how a company's books are at a particular time,and not how they might be in a year's time.

Whenever I've bought used or ex-dem goods,I've always done so with the view that there may be no guarantee or comeback,and I think that edward is correct to say that it should be kept in perspective,since we have no reason to think that there is any problem here,especially when other Tag owners have had no problems with the said dealer.

12. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Whoa AMCross… I’m not seeking to blacken the name of any business here. If he wants to charge prices that are out of touch with the current market that is their affair. (They’re not so crazy that I didn’t try talking to him). All I’m saying is that I think a bit of caution might be appropriate. If you think Mark’s wild down-up-down-up pricing of an item over the course of about 2 weeks is rational, then ignore everything I’ve said. All I’ve said is that the last time I saw behaviour this odd it proved to be indicative of severe stress and the bloke’s business folded within about 6 months (amazing considering the cash he had rolling in).

I thought about talking to the owner of the business after failing to agree a price but then decided it wasn’t worth the effort – let’s face it, there is no shortage of DVD32FLRs at present. It was only later, when I was still trying to fathom this strange behaviour that I linked it to the other strange episode and was glad I still had my money.

I would be pleased if my suspicion proved to be wrong – the number of places where we can go and audition kit is already too small.

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Then on that note,the thread can be closed.

If anyone should have anything further to add,they can let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.