1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is advice right or wrong

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Nov 30, 2001.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi,

I am looking at making a HTPC out of my current PC which I only use for the internet at the moment.

I have a 1 gig Athlon with 256meg ram and Rage fury pro video card.
    I am going to change it to a Radeon video card. Having read the radeon guide at the start of this forum it claims that the Radeon VE should be avoided for HTPC use yet some of you seem to have this card. Is the guide old and problems with the VE have now gone due to new drivers or is the guide wrong?

My other question is Do I have to have a Pentium as claimed by some of you or will I get satisfactory results from the Athlon although it will not perform as good as a Pentium 3/4. Or is it another issue rather than performance i.e. software clashes with the Athlon instruction set.

thanks

Darren

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an Athalon and a Radeon All-in-wonder which is based on the Radeon 32ddr I think. I get stunning results through my CRT projector, no glitches or stuttering etc.

I read somewhere that Athalons were better than Pentiums! I think it depends on what you read.

I wouldn't bother with an All-in-wonder, they have some good features but probably if I got a new card I'd go for a plain Radeon and a separate card for TV and Video capture so I could use Dscaler to de-interlace the picture from my digibox!

Look at the AVSFORUM which has a big guide to HTPC's and a lot of contributors too (being America). I think they recomended the VE in the HTPC guide as it has no Fan so is totally quiet!

Cheers

Nick

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,420
    mmm I'll check out that Radeon guid. It doesn't take long for things to go out of date and as I understand it the VE is now the card of choice for many people.

4. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the reason the VE are not favoured in the US is the dodgy multiple monitor support and the lack of raw gaming power. Also there they had another cheap cut down card that was better value.

Over this side of the pond the VE is the only cheap version of the radeon and it also benefits from not having a fan. Buy one, I did! But get rid of hydravision.

On the athlon thing, the problem here was down to BIOS and chipset issues. I think the favoured HTPC chipset is still the i815e which is solid as a rock. Some of the Atlon boards can be a bit flaky apparently. Worth giving it a go but check out the posts on AVS first.

John

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i was thinking of the Radeon LE which is a trimmed down version and not as hot with 3D. This is the one with no fan and I think that is why it is used.

Haven't seen it over here!

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Okay thanks for that, looks like I will be able to upgrade my machine to HTPC for less than what I had feared without having to basically build a new PC from scratch based on a pentium.

I will go for a VE and upgrade the operating system from Win 98. to ME or possibly XP. I will do a search on here and the AVSFORUM for informatiuon as to whether XP is suitable or not. Do any of you use your HTPC in a dual role i.e. a separate hard drive for your home cinema and a sepate one for everything else and just boot up whichever drive you require or do you find that you should just have a dedicated machine for each?

Nick Bull

thanks for all your enthusiasm on this forum. It is you and Fulabeer that finally tipped me over to CRT. I am getting a Barco 808s from the same person that supplied yours. Just waiting for my screen to arrive before I can confirm a date. Provisionally booked for the 10th Dec so hopefully my screen will have arrived by then. I just cannot wait. :D

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I was also looking at the Radeons, but was put of a bit with what I had read/heard. Problems with VE and AIW. I've decided on a Radeon DDR64, (If Jeff uses one, they must be OK!) Should be up and running soon.

Regards Rob.