Question Is active 5.1 with .4 atmos passive possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by volex, Jul 10, 2018.

1. volex

volex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

So I currently have an active 5.1 setup which are fed from pre-outs from my ancient AVR.

I'm looking to update my setup bringing in Atmos to a 5.1.4 setup with my existing active 5.1 and 4 passive Atmos speakers. Is it sensible and possible to run my 5.1 from the pre-outs and the 4 Atmos speakers from the AVR amps?

My budget for an AVR is around £450ish so I'm looking at something like a Denon AVR-X4300H used or in the sale, this has 9 channels amplified and 11.2 pre-outs so would be sufficient, I did wonder about using the AVR-X3300H which is 7 channel amp and 9.2 pre-out, but the amplified channels only include 2 height channels. I will only need 4 channels amplified but I'm not sure if re-assigning speaker channels is a thing, could I for example re-assign the amplified L & R surround channels to extra height speakers for 4 channel Atmos?

Would appreciate some advice if anyone knows if this is possible or I'm barking up the wrong tree and should just go for a straight up 9.2 channel amp with pre-outs.

Thanks

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    The Denon 3300 / 3400 would not work for a 5.1.4 set-up, as it only has processing for 7.2 channels. There are 7.2 pre-outs for the main zone plus stereo pre-outs for a second zone.

The Denon 4300 / 4400 however would do exactly what you want. You can connect the 5.1 active speakers to the corresponding pre-outs and connect the passive speakers to the corresponding speaker outputs on the AVR.

3. volex

volex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the reply, I guess switching speaker outputs was a bit ambitious.

Looks like I'll keep an eye out for the 4300 or maybe 4400 once the 4500 drops, should do the job nicely! Now... to find some Atmos speakers :)