1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a widescreen tv really widescreen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Igwiz, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Igwiz

Igwiz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Can someone help me fathom this one out?

A 16:9 screen is considered widescreen but a lot of films are actually recorded in 2.35:1. According to my calculations, this means a 36" screen will have about 4.3" of black bars split between the top and bottom of the screen.

What is the point of having a widescreen tv if you still have to put up with a banded picture? Asking this quesiton kind of hypothetically as I have just ordered one anyway!

Interested in people's views...

Cheers,
    Ig

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i agree-i too find it silly that a widescreen TV still has black bars top & bottom!!

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    16:9 is a compromise - problem is that there are a lot of different aspect ratios for films so it would be impossible to make a TV that could show them all without black bars at some point.

Some DVD's come with an 'anamorphic' print with AFAIK is 16:9, a lot of programmes these days are also broadcast in 16:9.

John

4. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    It comes from cinema realy.

Their screens are wide and to show narrower (16:9 or 4:3 ) pictures they just close it in a bit, as movies are filmed for the big, silver screens..

If you had a 2.35:1 screen at home it'd be realy wide, realy narrow and for anything other than cinemascope stuff your picture would use little of the screen, for 4:3 you'd only use 1/3rd of the screen.

16:9 is basicaly a compromise between wide and 4:3 settled on sometime past. Not sure how the market would have taken to 2.35:1 screens.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    In any case - if you had a (hypothetical) 22x9 TV, then anything narrower (eg 16x9, 12x9) would have vertical black bars at either side. Swings and roundabouts.