Is a Virgin box necessary?

Perrioli

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Wonder could I get a bit of advice. I only pay for broadband so don't need the Virgin Media box as I use the BBC app etc for terrestrial TV. Do I still have to have it connected as there's an Ethernet cable going into it? I have one Ethernet cable going into the hub and one to the VM box. If I don't need the VM box in the setup do I need to put the Ethernet cable into anything else, such as the receiver or the PS4?

I have a Denon aver1912, PS4, Amazon fire box and monitor speaker/subwoofer etc. A plasma Panasonic Viera TV. The TV is not ARC compatible. Any advice much appreciative and Thank You in advance.

Does the Virgin media box give you any extra channels than Freeview? You'd lose those if you removed it and make sure your TV/ PS4 has the apps you need.

The ethernet cable could be plugged into the PS4 to give it a wired connection if you wanted but not needed.

You should have the TV aerial from the wall to TV, AVR to TV by HDMI, TV to AVR optical cable since no ARC, PS4 and Amazon in AVR.

Thank you Hamster. I'm not bothered about the free view channels. I don't know what you mean by 'TV Ariel from the wall to the TV' as the virgin box is cable. Also the TV has no optical cable option so how can I get the TV sound through the avr? And, does the actual virgin cable that takes cable TV to the virgin box need to go anywhere or will that then be spare. That cable is actually split, i.e one into the broadband hub and one in to the virgin cable box.
Sorry for the bother, hope you can help.

What is the model number for your TV so I can see which connections there are? Do you still have an aerial on your roof and the socket you used before cable? Is everything you watch available without the Virgin box?

If you only watch apps through the PS4 or Amazon fire stick you would be fine with them connected to the AVR and that playing the sound and sending the picture to the TV. For live TV you need an aerial.

PANASONIC VIERA TH-42PZ80B OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL Pdf Download.

Th-42PZ80BA and I don't have a TV Ariel. The TV Ariel socket is still on the TV, if that's what you mean. Everything I watch is available without the virgin box. I have Amazon Prime ,Netflix and with BBC iplayer and ITV Hub etc I don't need anything else. I have 5 speakers and a Subwoofer(Monitor Vector VW8). I don't need the box or a TV Ariel, I just pay for broadband and wanted to take the box out if I could but still want surround sound for the TV , PS4 and Amazon Fire box.

Thanks for this help.

Yes you can. Plug everything into your AVR and have a HDMI cable going to your TV. The PS4 will output 5.1, probably the fire stick too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom