Is a VGA connection best for watching HD DVD's ?

S

Samsung1080i

I have an early Xbox 360 with no HDMI port. :(

I am currently running the standard component leads but looking to change to a VGA lead because I have been told it will be better and will also allow upscaling through the standard DVD drive.

Is this true?? :confused:

I have a 42" Samsung Plasma allowing upto 1080i only

Cheers

SD DVD's will get upscaled via the VGA lead in the standard drive. Generally speaking the best method of connection is HDMI, followed by VGA then Component.

I was definitely pleased when I changed the component lead for the VGA and I have read on this forum that a lot of people have done the same:smashin:

yes pic is mint via vga am tempted to try my hdmi though as my tv will take it in as 1080p and downscale also the tv will take any framrate and make it judder free

Having tried all 3 (Component, VGA and HDMI) back to back on the same TV, same resolutions and TV I can say that in my opinion HDMI has the most crisp image (Plus my TV gives the most control over the image settings etc)

Not to say VGA and Component were bad, just not quite as good. Thats just me and my TV (Samsung LE40F86) other sets may have better inputs for the others.

For HD-DVD I'd say it goes HDMI, VGA and Component because Component doesnt allow full 1080P for HD-DVD's (or upscaling on normal DVD's).

Looks like I am gonna have to trade my xbox in for a new one with hdmi out! Was wondering why I was only getting 1080i out watching tranformers hd. So what is it running now with sd dvd? with my component cable its 576. Does it actually show 1080p on your info box when u press the info button? Cheers!

I have an early Xbox 360 with no HDMI port. :(

I am currently running the standard component leads but looking to change to a VGA lead because I have been told it will be better and will also allow upscaling through the standard DVD drive.

Is this true?? :confused:

I have a 42" Samsung Plasma allowing upto 1080i only

Cheers

I have the Samsung Q96 42" Plasma and personally i think VGA is easily superior to component (i've tried both) and even has a slight advantage over HDMI as i can set the exact resolution (1024*768) out of the 360 using VGA - giving a 1to1 pixel map into my Q96. This gives a super sharp image and very accurate colours. Just remember to set the black level to 'expanded' in the 360 video options to get superb inky blacks and a great contrast ratio.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom