Question Is a VA Screen suitable for my viewing situation

johnr2110

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We are now in a position to purchase a new TV with the intention of getting a 65 inch set, our viewing distances are 9ft & 12ft. The set will situated in a corner like our current set which is an IPS.
Would much prefer a VA screen but unsure of the suitability. Thank you.

Does this example image help you at all?

https://www.avforums.com/posts/25387078/

Viewing angles is what you need to think about, not distance. VA panels by design of the panel have quite narrow viewing angles compared to IPS.

Does this example image help you at all?

65" 4K HDR TV under £1500

Viewing angles is what you need to think about, not distance. VA panels by design of the panel have quite narrow viewing angles compared to IPS.

Sorry to say Dodge it doesn’t. As the Set is placed across the corner at an angle of around 45 degrees. Our seating positions mean we both view virtually head on.

Sorry to say Dodge it doesn’t. As the Set is placed across the corner at an angle of around 45 degrees. Our seating positions mean we both view virtually head on.
If viewing head on you will not have a problem with a VA panel. It's when you view at an horizontal angle.

My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

Has all the best value models right now for each price range.

That’s good. Just to be sure from my position although I have direct line of site to the TV it is angled away from me. If still good leaning towards a Hisense 8700 based on various reviews and out of the box efficiency. Unfortunately the KD65XE9005 is now out of stock at John Lewis or would have considered one of those.

I'm a little confused, so you do view the TV at an angle?

If you calculate a cone of angle from the TV to where you need to watch it you can have about 40-60 degrees on a VA tv before the picture starts to look bad. That is 20-30 degrees to each side.

Probably the easiest way to calculate that if you don't have a room plan is either draw one out and use a protractor or failing that just position a protractor near the centre of your TV and look at the angle of your seating positions.

Its a major decision because unless you can afford OLEDs to get wider viewing angles from an LCD you have to get a model that in most other respects is far worse quality than a VA type panelled display. How much you notice this difference though I'm not sure.

I'm a little confused, so you do view the TV at an angle?

If you calculate a cone of angle from the TV to where you need to watch it you can have about 40-60 degrees on a VA tv before the picture starts to look bad. That is 20-30 degrees to each side.

Probably the easiest way to calculate that if you don't have a room plan is either draw one out and use a protractor or failing that just position a protractor near the centre of your TV and look at the angle of your seating positions.

Its a major decision because unless you can afford OLEDs to get wider viewing angles from an LCD you have to get a model that in most other respects is far worse quality than a VA type panelled display. How much you notice this difference though I'm not sure.

Thanks for all your help Dodge but had a chat with my partner and it looks like we’ll be getting an OLED.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom