1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is a tv video card and anologue capture card the same thing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chickenslippers, Aug 23, 2004.

1. chickenslippers

chickenslippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to sound like a fool, but i need to get some old vhs tapes onto my pc so i can then convert them into dvd with menu's etc.

does a tv tuner card getting its signal from my video player give a good enough picture quality when converted into an avi file. is this the best way to go? ie getting an avi file which my editing software can use.

hope someone can help

cheers chickenslippers

2. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chickenslippers

I guess it depends on which card you use and the codec used to digitise the analog source material. For instance I have a Sony Vaio which uses a ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card (I think) which takes analog in and the quality I get when I convert to digital is fine. You can tell it's not as good as native DV captured material but it's as good as watching a normal VHS tape on your telly, for instance.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are recording from your VCR via a TV capture card you will not be able to capture as .avi - best you will be able to do is .mpg but that should be good enough for a DVD burnt from VHS original.

4. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    It depends on the TV capture card, apparently: I can capture as AVI using the Cinergy 200 TV card from Terratec.

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even when you record from a VCR ????

6. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, I've just recently transferred some VHS recordings onto my PC in AVI format.

7. chickenslippers

chickenslippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr safety ur not wrong, beejaycee sorry but you are :)

i borrowed a tevion tv tuner card and i could choose the frame rate, quality eg i got to choose the bits/s then the prog that came with it offered mpeg 4/2/1 and avi then the editor offered edited videos into mpeg 2/1, avi, compressed avi,dv-avi, and wmv(windows media format)

the quality was not perfect but just as good as my video playing the tapes in the first place

tevion tv tuner card £29.99 from aldi, i know what i will be buying next time their in( unless someone knows for a fact they know what can beat it,(not just think it will beat it))

thanks for all your help, i think this is such a great site, its great the help you get not just from your own threads but from reading others aswell. thanks