Is a tom tom the way to go ? Need a new unit !

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Sandypusscat, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Sandypusscat

Sandypusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All sorry if this has been asked before but from reading several threads it seems a lot of people recommend the Tom Tom sat nav units.

My old 2008 Navman F20 you can no longer get maps for or anything and its getting a bit out of date now althoug it did the job for a while and only cost £100 new...

Is a tom tom the way to go for general use and is there a particular model thats the best one please?

Any good advice or constructuive opinions would he appreciated...

I have seen the Tom Tom XXL recommended a couple of times on an older thread... is that a good one at the moment perhaps... ?

Is it worth having the TOm Tom "live" option also ?

£90 to £200 would be my price range but I want good value and the most up to date maps also if poss I would rather pay up to £150 unless the features or "futureproofness" made it worthwhile paying more...

I am not sure if "futureproofness" is a cromulant word but it sounds like a word to me so we will go with it...:)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Tomtoms are definitely my favourite.
    They're just more intuitive, although, tbf, the later models are not quite as good as they were.
    Still better than Garmin though.
    It may be a personal thing, but I just don't like those at all.
    They're not so intuitive and I find the mapping poor.

Probably the best overall thing about TTs is their incredible accuracy in quoting the arrival time. It's invariably within a minute or two.

As for Live, well, I find it a boon and I've only used it a couple of weeks and all locally.
    Being a subby, my job can take me anywhere in the country.
    So imagine the beauty of being able to find a hotel, or B&B or even a cafe or local supplier, either when you arrive or when you plan your route :smashin:
    Whereas I used to have to get the phone out, I can now do it via Google search and it's miles faster :thumbsup:

Although I haven't used HD traffic yet, I've heard it can be a bit hit and miss, but most people like it and seeing as you're linked to the biggest traffic monitoring system for sat navs in the UK, I would think it's going to be better than anything else.

Weather is handy, but no big deal for me.

Safety cameras are generally very good, although they can sometimes show cameras that aren't there.
    I'd much rather have that than the other way round though.

The live services, at £48 per year, will definitely be something I'll be keeping.

The model I would recommend at the top end of your budget (maybe just over) would be the Go live 1005, or if you are happy with a fractionally smaller screen, the Go live 1000. They have a very nice touch screen.

Else, if you want to save a few quid, but can live with a slightly slower reacting screen, but the same functionality, consider the Via live 120. You can get the European version for £140 or less (it's what I have).

As for maps, Tomtom release a new version every quarter.
    The last release was October, so there's a new one due this month.
    And with TT's 30 day latest map guarantee, you should get the very latest, albeit it might involve a 4Gb download.
    You can also subscribe (for free) to Mapshare, which is a system where other drivers correct mistakes in the mapping and you can download those corrections via an update. This does involve you anonymously sharing details of any routes you take, time taken etc though.
    I don't like being tracked as such, but feel it's worthwhile, if it helps improve things and it's not compulsory anyway.

Oh and the voice control actually works most of the time, if that floats your boat.

I'd definitely recommend TomTom, no question.
    As for the live services, it's incredibly useful to me, but it depends on the sort of distances you travel.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  3. Sandypusscat

Sandypusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thats very useful thanks I will go for the live thing as its not much more money.
    Will have a look on amazon and see what they have.

4. Sandypusscat

Sandypusscat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got the 1005 model, it was £211 but its going through the business so I can claim the VAT back etc.

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Good choice :smashin: