Is a SKY+ box any use?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by superpixel, Mar 9, 2005.

1. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

Would there be ANY use of having a SKY+ box without any subscription to Sky whatsoever? Or would all the features be redundant.

I'm thinking maybe the digital audio output would still work (and give 5.1 on non-SKY channels, or is it just for movies channels), and is there any function to automate recording to a hooked up DVD-Recorder that would work? I guess the PVR won't work at all without the extra Sky+ fee...

thanks a lot.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Need to pay the Sky+ subscription or have premium channels to get Sky+ fuctionality. Only some Sky Movies and possibly some of the Disney Channels content will be in Dolby Digital or 5.1.

3. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky need to activate the record function which i assume will require payment.
    5.1 as nathan says is only on movies 1,2,3 and possibly4 and some disney.
    connecting a scart to the sky+ will allow a DVD recorder to be fitted and recordings transfered

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without a subscription, or Freesat card, ANY Sky box is just a silver brick to sit underneath your TV set.

5. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    £10 a month I think to have the "free" channels and the Sky+ recording functionality enabled.

6. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you do go the route of only receiving the "free" channels and paying £10.00 a month to Sky for the Sky+ subscription then have fun convincing Sky CS staff that you're allowed to do this. I read about a some customers trying for ages with multiple phone calls, long e-mail exchanges trying to convince Sky CS staff that this was allowed and kept hitting a brick wall. They did manage to go this route in the end but it took for ages so you'll have to persevere.

7. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't call it a brick! I suppose you could argue that the optical out (even just plain old stereo) offers you a more solid audio connection to your receiver.... er.... that's the only bonus I can think of!