Is a router's firewall good enough on its own?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using an old laptop, running Win98, on dial-up. While I research building an HTPC, it would be handy if I was on broadband. The anti-virus software I intend to use on my new PC (running XP) is crashing Win98.

So, my question:
Is an ADSL router's in-built firewall good enough security against viruses, without additional virus software?

Thanks

No..!

The firewall will stop people connecting to your pc, if set correctly your pc would not be visible to any hackers.

Viruses are another matter, even with the best firewall you will download files, emails etc which could contain viruses.

Anit-virus software is almost an essential on any PC even if not connecting to the Internet. A single floppy could infect and make your PC so screwed you'd need to re-install your operating system.

Lastly, any anti-virus software is only as good as its last update. You need it kept updated as the newer viruses are the ones that catch people out.

Companies if they have any sense, have pc's running full detecting software and updates done or checked on each boot up. And a good policy to make staff use it.

A bit longer reply than I expected but any more info needed just ask.

Originally posted by StevieDvd
The firewall will stop people connecting to your pc, if set correctly your pc would not be visible to any hackers.

Viruses are another matter, even with the best firewall you will download files, emails etc which could contain viruses.

Wow, that was quick - thanks.

Basically, the anti-virus software on my laptop is now fairly uselss (now there's an invite) - I can't get XP, as laptop is old, and its too much hassle getting decent anti-virus software for WIN98, when I'll shortly have a new PC with XP and up to date AntiV software.

So I'm not worried about the viruses on downloadable files, as I'm not downloading anything. I'm also not worried about email viruses in the short term.

What I am concerned about, is people seeing my keystrokes when I'm entering secure sites (banks etc).

So, to recap - I will have up to date Anti-V software as soon as I get a new PC with XP - but in the short term, if I go broadband, and use an ADSL router with firewall (like Netgear DG834G), will it be possible for hackers to detect my keystrokes when logging on to secure sites?

Thanks again

I'd advise running anti virus software and a software firewall in addition to the routers firewall.

I run AVG which is a free av product (www.grisoft.com), I have a norton licence but couldn't stand it, this is far better IMHO.

For a firewall I use Zonealarm, again free, you just need to setup a trusted zone for your internal network if you have one.

After all, its not just people getting in from the outside you need to be concerned with (which is what a hardware firewall will do), it would be just as easy to install the trojan through an email, or even website, then attack from within. Also stops spyware and the like "phoning home".

The chances are you may never be attacked, but when its free and requires very little effort why not secure your pc as best you can, if everyone did viruses wouldn't spread!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom