1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a ProV+ worth the cash?!?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CooperUK, Sep 22, 2003.

1. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Sorry if this thread repeats what has been said before, but having serched and read many other threads I would still like some very basic pointers on the ProV+ before I splash out the cash.

Here's the setup:

Panny PT-AE100 run from DVD/Sky Digibox via S-Video out on my AV amplifier.

I'd like to know:

1) Is the result of adding a ProV+ to my system worth the extra money?
    2) Will I be able to match the ProV+ and the PT-AE100 pixel for pixel?
    3) Is there anything other than the ProV+ (less expensive) that does the same job?
    4) Is the ProV+ a scaler/line doubler as it all just gets a bit too techical and confusing for a simpleton like me.

Apologies again, but I'd really like a plain English answer to these questions as it will greatly help me in the next step towrds AV heaven - convincing the wife! :D

Many thanks

Coop

2. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Come on folks - help a simpleton to part with his money :zonked:

3. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well, a quick search for AE100 ProV does yield all the info you need.... however:

1) IMHO no, causes lip-sync problems and causes video to be scaled twice (see 2)
    2) no, the ProV (and ProV+) output PC friendly 4:3 signals, not projector custom resultion (856*480 in the AE100's case) resolutions
    3) I tried a less expensive box that pretty much does the same job (search for my posts in the Progressive Scan forum), but it wasn't really worth the money
    4) The ProV+ is a scaler and deinterlacer i.e. it combines 2 consequtive interlaced pictures into 1, and re-sizes (scales) the picture to your selected output resolution. Note that it is very basic deinterlacing and doesn't do any work to remove motion artifacts etc.

Take a look at the HTPC forums for advice on using a PC to provide your PJ with the best possible picture.

Hope this is of some help!

4. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Thanks for the advice.

Coop

:smashin: