1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Pioneer AX5AI good enough to run M&K 850s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by d.waters, Apr 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having decided on my next speakers (3 x M&K 850 and 4 x M&K K4), I would now like to decide which amps to look at. I was interested in the Pioneer AX5AI or its successor and would like to know if anyone has heard or used this amp with these speakers.

Also, what should I compare it with?

Regards

2. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Any opinions?

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I have the same speakers with a TAG AV32r and Tag 100x5r amp in theory 100w per channel but likely to be in the the region od 125w.

They sound great, but they do need a bit of time to run in.

I demoned the speakers with a Rotel Integrated Amp/processer and they great, so no reason to assume that the Pioneer should be up to the job.

Simon

4. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply Simon, but did you mean the Pioneer should or should not be able to manage the 850s?

Regards

5. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can anyone suggest any amps I should be looking at to go well with the 850s. I was originally going to go for a Pioneer AX5AI (or its successor when that comes out). I've also seen that the AX10AI has now come down to around £2000, or am I barking up the wrong tree with the Pioneer? (I have a Pioner 1014 in my bedroom, which I am happy with, tempting me to look at its bg brothers).

The amp I would like to change is a Denon AVC A11SR. I simply want to get something more current!

Regards

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    As the 1014 is pretty much just the ax3 try that out first (unless you are seelling it to buy the rest) If it sounds godd through that then i should think it should be good from the bigger brothers. Pioneers are know for there slightly dodgy figures wrt power but it might not be an issue.

I know that a few people in the speaker forum have m&k's so ask in there for matching amp.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Dave
    Thing is with pioneer equipment m&k can sound harsh due to there receivers being on the bright side. I also think the ax5i may struggle at high volumes with 7.1.I think your best bet is to buy second hand and try and get hold of a high current receiver or seperates that will give the speakers the power they deserve.So no i dont think the ax5i would be up to it.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

8. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Gazbarber - thanks for that suggestion. I hadn't thought about that - will give it a try. I am keeping the 1014 as it's in my bedroom system. It operates a Def Tech Pro 80 system at the moment, but when I upgrade my main speakers, I will swap these for my M&K K series setup.

Thanks Gonzo - I have had doubts about the AX5AI, which is why I started this thread. I also moved on to think about the AX10, but I think I might be better moving away from Pioneer amplification altogether.

Regards

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Just to add, after fine tuning my AX5ai, I can state that this thing can LOUD without any problems whatsoever and I would say it sounds better the louder it goes. However, yes, it is bright and forward sounding compared to other amps, notably Denon which has a smoother, warm sound. After extended run in, the extra detail my ax5ai exhibits over i-link is superb. CD's sound new again as I am hearing things not heard before. :lesson:

Having demoed the M & K's fairly recently, I cannot help but think that they would sound awesome with the Pioneer if set up correcty.

Pete.

10. d.waters

d.waters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Having spoken to my local dealers a few suggestions to look at include:

Rotel RSX-1067 receiver
    Arcam DVR-300 receiver
    Something out of the new Onkyo range, when it appears.

Also, a couple of the power/pre-amp combinations in a similar price bracket from Rotel or Arcam.

Any thoughts?

11. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And I was thinking of using the 1014 as a pre amp, and add an external power amp to at least drive the front speakers.