Is a Pioneer 737 a waste, if I am not using Progressive Scan?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Mar 6, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I want to buy a new DVD player.. The 737 is the only model which comes close to my needs.

However, it haas some things that I have no use for (eg Progressive Scan).

Is it a waste to buy the 737 if I am not going to use the PS, or is there more to this player to justify the price?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DV-737 is an awesome DVD player but its primary feature is the ability to play progressive scan DVD's.

Having said that if you want it to use the plethora of video tweaking functions it has then you wont find many better players. If you are the type of person that likes to tweak everything within an inch of its life then go for it - who knows maybe down the track you will get to use progressive scan.
    However if you just want a great DVD player that offers exceptional video and audio performance without progressive scan, then may i suggest having a look at the Toshiba range or the DV-636 or DV-535 from Pioneer.

Good luck [​IMG]

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Thanks for that.. Problem is that I want RCE and CDR support.

I heard that the Toshiba models had problesm with RCE.

On the subject of the 535 and 635, I wasnt' really impressed.. The build quality was pretty basic, and the features were seriously lacking..

I have a Samsung 709 right now, which turns out to be a pretty able play (feature wise).

4. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a cheap 717 then. Suits everything you need and is a superb looking and working player to boot.

Will only be changing mine when it finally conks out in years to come.

------------------
    "You're a big man but you're in bad shape and I do this for a living, so behave yourself"

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    I thought of that, but I looked at several reviews, and they classed the picutre 717 as 'dated' now.. (Not my words).. Saying that, its got to be considerably better than my Samsung 709!

I don't mind spending the money, but I don't like wasting it!..

Still, the 717 is still on my list..

Thanks for the info

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,069
    My *hacked* 737 (from Sevenoaks HiFi) plays everything I've ever put in it OK. I believe that 6th day is RCE - but I can't prove it 'cos it plays OK. But it is a new Columbia Tristar title, and I believe they are RCE merchants.

Although I'm now using Progressive, I did use it via S-Video for a while. The picture quality is excellent, build quality also sturdy, and there are more picture and sound tweaks than you can poke a stick at.

It plays CDRs and CDRWs just fine - with Audio and VCD contents.

I'm very happy with it.