Is a PC monitor better than a "propper" HDTV for the xbox 360?

D

danielbriggs

Hi,

I need to know if it would be better for me to buy a propper LCD TV or a PC LCD for use with my Xbox 360. I want the highest resolution, as (I believe) it would be higher quality. BTW: It's going to live in my bedroom, so I don't plan on buying a 40" TV etc. + I can't afford it!

I've had a look at this one: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/33625...D-Monitor-With-TV-Tuner-And-HDMI/Product.html

It seems cheap, a good spec, and a nice res and it's got a HDMI port. Perhaps a little small, but it should be better than a current LG 17".

So my question is, should I go for a nice high-res PC monitor e.g. something like 1680 x 1080 or even 1920x1200 if my budget can stretch, or should I go for a "propper" TV with 720p/1080i - I'd like 1080p, but it's way out of my budget! (~ £400)

Would 720p/1080i look better than a 1680x1080 or 1920x1200 PC monitor either VGA or HDMI, as both are viable to support these resolutions I think.
Are 16:10 monitors worse than 16:9 LCD TV's for use on the xbox?

Can anyone recommend some good monitors soley for use with the 360? Freeview can be as an afterthough or added on later.
Could I get a 32" or 37" that is within my budget?

I *might* want to plug in my Mac via DVI/VGA at somepoint, but that shouldn't really sway the decision, as it's going to be on the 360 99% of the time.

Many Thanks,

Daniel Briggs

Icm76

I need to know if it would be better for me to buy a propper LCD TV or a PC LCD for use with my Xbox 360. I want the highest resolution, as (I believe) it would be higher quality.

For the use you describe I would go for the best 26"-32" 1366x768 LCD you can. Since all TVs are different & the quality of processing/inputs varies: borrow a VGA cable & compare it against the component cable (and compare HDMI if you have 360 elite)

If you could stretch the budget to a 37" panasonic plasma & aren't sitting too close I'd recommend that the most. Use the service menu to turn overscan off - that way you get 1280x720 mapped to 1024x720 and no crappy pixel response issues

Very few (if any) games on the Xbox 360 will be natively rendered at 1080p - it just uses scaling in the software to output a higher res (which is nice & convenient) Anything rendering 1080p natively will have to do so at the expense of other aspects of game/image quality e.g. less objects on screen, shorter draw distance, lower frame rate, non dynamic lighting etc

N.B. This is also true of PS3 - though Sony will no doubt market a few titles as proper 1080p. It's nonsense though.

Would 720p/1080i look better than a 1680x1080 or 1920x1200 PC monitor either VGA or HDMI, as both are viable to support these resolutions I think.

1680x1050 is the 16:10 ratio for computers. It would be much more hassle for use with your Xbox (too many stages of scaling) A 1920x1200 monitor will show 1920x1080 correctly, but unless you are definitely going to use it with a computer & want the workspace that 1920x1200 provides you don't particularly need it.

Xbox360 @ 720p will give the best image quality & the least image processing (which can increase input lag) when mapped to a 1280x720 screen. However since consumer LCDs are 1368x768 the issue is muddied somewhat, which is why you should compare the VGA & component options on your TV.

Don't assume that the best solution on one TV is the same as the best solution on another TV

Bumping your own thread after 3.5 hrs? More patience required imho ;)

Curly99

Distinguished Member
*Bump*

Come on! Someone must know!!!

:lease:
Patience is a virtue ;) please allow more time before you bump your thread, you asked your question at a time when most people who could answer would have been at work...etc.

Curly

UnGreat

You can get Mirai and Hanspree 32" Tv's for around £300. Both have threads here.

I currently use a 19" Acer widescreen monitor and although the picture quality is fine it's a little stretched because of the different sizes between TV's and PC monitors.

I'm in the same boat as you and will probably go for the Mirai DTL-632V200 for when Halo 3 comes out.

Houldey

Just wanted to say, the guy above who said that a 1920x1200 monitor would display 1080p XBOX 360 video fine, is wrong. It will stretch the image to fit the 16:10 aspect ratio of the monitor, UNLESS YOU SHELL OUT ABOUT DOUBLE THE DOSH FOR A MONITOR WITH 1:1 PIXEL MAPPING. If you haven't already doen so, I would go with an HDTV. Like the guy said, no game is natively 1080p, that's like, 3 gens. away. 1366x768 via VGA is awesome. Good luck.

RMF1

Hi,

I need to know if it would be better for me to buy a propper LCD TV or a PC LCD for use with my Xbox 360. I want the highest resolution, as (I believe) it would be higher quality. BTW: It's going to live in my bedroom, so I don't plan on buying a 40" TV etc. + I can't afford it!

I've had a look at this one: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/33625...D-Monitor-With-TV-Tuner-And-HDMI/Product.html

It seems cheap, a good spec, and a nice res and it's got a HDMI port. Perhaps a little small, but it should be better than a current LG 17".

So my question is, should I go for a nice high-res PC monitor e.g. something like 1680 x 1080 or even 1920x1200 if my budget can stretch, or should I go for a "propper" TV with 720p/1080i - I'd like 1080p, but it's way out of my budget! (~ £400)

Can anyone recommend some good monitors soley for use with the 360? Freeview can be as an afterthough or added on later.
Could I get a 32" or 37" that is within my budget?

I *might* want to plug in my Mac via DVI/VGA at somepoint, but that shouldn't really sway the decision, as it's going to be on the 360 99% of the time.

Many Thanks,

Daniel Briggs

No it's not. Your better with a TV. The monitor tha you were looking at has a native resolution of 1680x1050. The 360 does not support this resolution so you have to chose the closet that it does support and then the monitor will scale it to fit. It will not look sharp. I'm speaking from personal experience. Why don't you just buy a TV, preferably 1080p and be done with it?

ronbeal

Standard Member
:clap:Hi, At first glance it would probably be inappropriate to express an opinion in answering your question, obviously the choice to which-ever would prove to have the better performance for gaming between the two, would clearly be down to your own personal preference. as you will appreciate everyone's likes and dislikes are very different. but having said that a Monitor that has recently come on to the market designed mainly with 'gamer's in mind, is the Viewsonic 19" VX922 LCD Monitor which has a native resolution of 1280x1020 a contrast ratio of 650:1, a brightness of 279 nits and a response time of 2ms. but do expect that to be in excess of £300 if you can even get hold of one. I would however suggest you could consider the LG M228WA 22" Monitor/HDTV available from Comet for £229 it would probably very likely be more than suitable for your purpose. you don't have to take my word for it. search out the reviews on this model for yourself. Also check my thread giving my review for this Monitor on this forum.
Good luck in what-ever you choose
Kind regards
Ron

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom