is a NTSC player going to be best.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jimbowley, Oct 24, 2004.

1. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read a lot about DVD yesterday, and considering I am about to buy a 720x480 plasma, is the best possible picture for movies going to come from a NTSC player that puts out 480p (component). Assuming it does the conversion to progressive well?

Regards
    Jim

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    An NTSC signal is probably going to give you optimum results. You get an NTSC signal by having BOTH:

a) an NTSC capable player - all those on the sale in the UK are both NTSC and PAL
    b) exclusively NTSC discs.

All discs sold in the UK (with a tiny handful of exceptions) are PAL. The thing to most certainly avoid doing, is converting a PAL source disc to NTSC for output. Few players do this anyway, but those that do, degarde the signal to a much greater extent than the downscaling in the Plasma screen will.

So, you will need a Region 1 - capable player (eg multi-region), and to buy all your DVDs from US/Can importers (region 1). You could also buy Japanese discs, which are NTSC, region 2, (in which case your player does not need to be multi-region) but these are typically expensive and arguably best saved for instances where Japan enjoys a better/extended/superbit/whatever version that the rest of the world doesn't have.

3. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I thought I had it right, but I've not actually seen any articles/reviews that comment on or test this.

I'm going for the panasonic PWD6, now I need to find the best NTSC dvd player in my price range.

Seeing as region 1 discs are cheaper and available sooner, it's especially nice to know they will give a better picture as well.

Only drawback I suppose is when I've built my library up and then buy a higher resolution screen in the future, for which PAL discs are more likely to give the better picture (seeing as they have the better resoltuion).

Jim

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    PAL does theoretically have better vertical resolution. In practice, other factors in the disc mastering process have a much greater effect on image quality than this one factor does. Ignore it and you'll never notice.

Just to retstate re now I need to find the best NTSC dvd player in my price range - all DVD players are NTSC capable. What you need is a region 1 or multiregion player (unless you are only going to buy Japanese software).