Is a Nikon D7200 a quantum leap over M43, or is a Nikon D750 needed for that?

damo_in_sale

Thing is it's only £250, I can probably find that behind the sofa. Don't like then send back.

I did check it out at the shop a few weeks ago and the face detection and focus tracking was MILES better than my G6. It just locks on the eye and stays there. We'll have to see if the AF can actually keep up with the tracking though.

Think I'll still get the D750 though, just not quite yet.

snerkler

Thing is it's only £250, I can probably find that behind the sofa. Don't like then send back.

I did check it out at the shop a few weeks ago and the face detection and focus tracking was MILES better than my G6. It just locks on the eye and stays there. We'll have to see if the AF can actually keep up with the tracking though.

Think I'll still get the D750 though, just not quite yet.
Crikey, wish I could find £250 behind the sofa :eek: ;)

shotokan101

Banned
So in essence this thread should really have been called.....

"Is Current Gen M4/3 a Quantum Shuffle Over Previous Models ?" :devil:

damo_in_sale

My two year old empties her grandmas purse all over the sofa every time she comes. Its brilliant :)

Just meant it's relatively cheap and if I like it great, otherwise it goes back- no harm done.

Like I say, I now know I want a D750, and that is a serious investment, especially with new glass. But that's what I intend to get, maybe after Christmas as funds allow.

damo_in_sale

shotokan101

Banned
....it's only about four Grandma visits :p

damo_in_sale

It's funny, but when I first started posting here 18 months ago I was adamant that I wasn't going to spend more that £300, and that a compact sensor would be just fine.

I just find photography, of the kids in particular but not exclusively, really really satisfying when I get a nice image that I like.

snerkler

It's funny, but when I first started posting here 18 months ago I was adamant that I wasn't going to spend more that £300, and that a compact sensor would be just fine.
That's the AV forum curse.

shotokan101

Banned
Yeah - we've all been there -just that some of us have been through it before with film an really should know better :blush:

snerkler

Yeah - we've all been there -just that some of us have been through it before with film an really should know better :blush:
I'd love to see a photo of all your camera gear, does it all fit in one room? :laugh:

shotokan101

Banned

damo_in_sale

Initial impressions of the G7 suggest that the focus tracking is MILES better than on the old G6.

Shooting my kids running at me from three meters or so away, almost all frames are in focus until they get near the camera. That's at 6fps, f1.4 25mm (50mm ff) . The G6 wouldn't come close.

The face detection seems excellent, you get the usual box around the face but also a crosshair over one of the eyes. When using either face detect or subject tracking the camera dogedly sticks to the subject.

Looks like a bargain at £250 for those with M43 kit.

Still want D750 though.

Last edited:

snerkler

Initial impressions of the G7 suggest that the focus tracking is MILES better than on the old G6.

Shooting my kids running at me from three meters or so away, almost all frames are in focus until they get near the camera. That's at 6fps, f1.4 25mm (50mm ff) . The G6 wouldn't come close.

The face detection seems excellent, you get the usual box around the face but also a crosshair over one of the eyes. When using either face detect or subject tracking the camera dogedly sticks to the subject.

Looks like a bargain at £250 for those with M43 kit.

Still want D750 though.
Glad you're happy with the camera :smashin:

damo_in_sale

Steady on Snerks, never said I was happy :)

I'll get the D750 at some stage, and then when I'm not happy with that will probably upgrade to this:

keck_figure.jpg

snerkler

Steady on Snerks, never said I was happy :)

I'll get the D750 at some stage, and then when I'm not happy with that will probably upgrade to this:

keck_figure.jpg
Well you sounded pretty happy with it :p

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom