Is a Nikon D7200 a quantum leap over M43, or is a Nikon D750 needed for that?

damo_in_sale

We have two cameras, a lumix G6 and GM1, the G6 being a small DSLR size and form.

I think I've arrived at the conclusion that the little GM1 is the perfect family walk around camera, especially when used with the Leica Summilux- I just love this combination for family days out.

So the G6 rarely gets used these days and I'm not sure that upgrading this for a high end M43 would make sense as our second camera does not need to be compact. Usage for this second camera would be more serious stuff like birthdays, sports days etc. where low light and/or fast CAF would be what I'm after.

Already got a Nikon 50mm f1.8 (the old one with the aperture ring) and the next lens would probably be a 70-200 f2.8 Tamron or Sigma.

Will a D7200 be sufficient for a real step up in quality or would that require the D750?

Last edited:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
That's a very subjective question and will depend on your expectations, as well as whether you are capable from getting the best from it.

In terms of IQ there's very little in it these days in good light, although I still believe that all things being equal FF still produces nicer images, they have more depth to them (although some people don't see it ;)).

Now low light is a different matter. I couldn't see much, if any, difference in IQ between my A77II (crop body) vs my Olly EM10/EM5-II. The D7200 is better at noise handling but I wouldn't say it would be massively better. It does shine in DR though so recovery in PP will be better. The D750 is massively better than the Olly at low light. With the Olly noise is starting to get too much for me at 3200 ISO, whereas I'm getting cleaner images with the D750 at 12800 ISO.

AF performance? No contest, the D750 is soooooooooooooo much better than the Olly in C-AF and tracking, the confidence it gives you is unreal. In S-AF in good light there's not a lot in it in good light , although the D750 is still noticeably better, the Olly also seems to be much more lens dependant. In low light again no contest, the D750 is much better, the Olly hunts a lot. I haven't used the D7200 but it has a modified AF system from the D750 so would expect it to be excellent.

I'll post some sample pics later when I'm on the laptop if you like?

raptor

I was looking at the Nikon D750dvs D7200 in the end it was down to ME being not up to the 750
and the cash saved going on better glass so i went with the 7200,going from my old Nikon D90 just showed me
how good the camera was.
As for high ISO
[url=https://flic.kr/p/A9yTVh] The boss by Daz, on Flickr[/URL]

This one was shot at ISO 5000 with the flash off.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Nikon D750

ISO 9000
DSC_3567 by TDG-77, on Flickr

ISO 10000
DSC_0554 by TDG-77, on Flickr

ISO 12800
DSC_0179 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Then compare this D750 shot taken in low light at ISO 6400
DSC_5424 by TDG-77, on Flickr

With these similar lit shots taken with the Olly at ISO 1600
P3260030 by TDG-77, on Flickr
P3270036 by TDG-77, on Flickr

With very heavy noise reduction in PP it is possible to get clean images from the Olly at ISO 6400, although you of course sacrifice sharpness.
P1313789 by TDG-77, on Flickr

But in the right light Olly IQ can be superb
PA243467 by TDG-77, on Flickr
PA243449 by TDG-77, on Flickr
KOS 2015 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Edit: looking back at these the pub shot has far too much magenta tone :facepalm:

Last edited:

raptor

I must say the d750 is one hell of a camera !

damo_in_sale

Thanks chaps, really appreciate your feedback.

Snerks, on the self portrait the background looks blown. Could that have been recovered at all in Lightroom do you think? It's interesting you're getting about two stops better ISO with the D750 over the Olympus because that corresponds bang on with the relative sensor area of 1 to 4.

Anyway, I think this confims that M43 is very similar to DX/APSC and if I did want a quantum leap in performance then FX is required.

Last edited:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Thanks chaps, really appreciate your feedback.

Snerks, on the self portrait the background looks blown. Could that have been recovered at all in Lightroom do you think? It's interesting you're getting about two stops better ISO with the D750 over the Olympus because that corresponds bang on with the relative sensor area of 1 to 4.

Anyway, I think this confims that M43 is very similar to DX/APSC and if I did want a quantum leap in performance then FX is required.
No, highlights couldn't be recovered on the selfie otherwise I wold have done ;). This shot was actually underexposed and I recovered the shadows so as you can tell lighting was awkward to say the least. Sunlight was very intense but the Gorilla was in very dark shadows and very much silhouetted.

twist

Distinguished Member
Do it do it do it. If you want the most noticeable step up get the D750. No point in going halfway if/as you have the cash. The D7200 is a fantastic camera but the D750 is better... unless you need crop factor.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Do it do it do it. If you want the most noticeable step up get the D750. No point in going halfway if/as you have the cash. The D7200 is a fantastic camera but the D750 is better... unless you need crop factor.
Or go for the D810 and have the best of both worlds as DX mode is still 16MP ;)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
The D7200 isnt 16mp and he never listed it as an option. ;)
So picky :p Yes I know, but for the times you need reach 16mp isn't to be sniffed at ;) Of course, as we know the D750 is a better all-rounder still hence why I bought that over the D810 :D

damo_in_sale

Maybe one for next year. Jan 1st is still next year, right?

damo_in_sale

I've already sent him my letter though, asked for a bag of coals :(

Besides, I'd need to buy a D750 in advance so the missus could take pictures of me opening my D750 :eek:

damo_in_sale

Ok, I think I'm sold. The D750 does indeed look like a terrific second camera.

I might buy it for the missus as a Christmas present.

The only problem is that last Christmas I bought her a camera, and then for her birthday I bought her a BBQ. Oh and the fact that she's not that interested in cameras, and she says BBQs make her 'smell all smokey and horrible'.

Still, it's either the Nikon or a leaf blower, can't think of anything else to be honest. ND filter perhaps? :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Ok, I think I'm sold. The D750 does indeed look like a terrific primary camera and when I find out how good it is the Panny will become a very fine paperweight.
FTFY ;)

damo_in_sale

Thing is Snerks, my primary camera needs to be ultra reliable. Just not sure Nikon's pro cameras are up there yet with the likes of the GM series QA wise. :p

I'd be constantly worried that a bloke from Nikon would demand my camera back because they've put the mirror box in upside down or something :eek:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Thing is Snerks, my primary camera needs to be ultra reliable. Just not sure Nikon's pro cameras are up there yet with the likes of the GM series QA wise. :p

I'd be constantly worried that a bloke from Nikon would demand my camera back because they've put the mirror box in upside down or something :eek:
I've done all the QC for you now so there's no need to worry ;)

damo_in_sale

Are you one who got the recall for CMOS sensor replacement of inadvertent assembly with Leprechaun with a crayon set advisory?

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Are you one who got the recall for CMOS sensor replacement of inadvertent assembly with Leprechaun with a crayon set advisory?
No mine was the one the Leprechaun's mounted the sensor via play doh ;)

damo_in_sale

Yeah, that was a common problem with early batches.

shotokan101

Banned

damo_in_sale

OK, time to be serious now.

I've weight it all up and I've decided that, however great the D7200 is, it's the D750 that I really want. It was a really difficult decision though because they are both brilliant.

So I've ordered a Lumix G7 :D

snerkler

Distinguished Member
OK, time to be serious now.

I've weight it all up and I've decided that, however great the D7200 is, it's the D750 that I really want. It was a really difficult decision though because they are both brilliant.

So I've ordered a Lumix G7 :D
I'm sure there's some logic there somewhere ;)

shotokan101

Banned
...if you can't get what you really want then no point in getting second best :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom