Is a new tv an upgrade?

You know what....I've gone through your thread thinking you have an oled....but you have a Panasonic LCD?

Btw the pic you sent of phantom menace, could you give me the time of that scene so i can compare like for like to mine? Would appreciate it.Thanks for your replies. 👍

Bedtime here. Thanks again for the replies, if you can send time of that scene of phantom menace and i will check tomorrow.👍

Ah - in that case your tv just isn't very good.

No offense intended.

I was thinking you had a Panasonic oled for some reason.

Again no offense intended - lower quality tvs do not produce HDR or DV well. They are fine for bluray, but 4k HDR/DV is a no-go. They can't do it.

You need a high end LCD or an OLED to get a good picture from a 4k HDR/DV stream/disc.

Last edited:
Ah - in that case your tv just isn't very good.

No offense intended.

I was thinking you had a Panasonic oled for some reason.

Again no offense intended - lower quality tvs do not produce HDR or DV well. They are fine for bluray, but 4k HDR/DV is a no-go. They can't do it.

You need a high end LCD or an OLED to get a good picture from a 4k HDR/DV stream/disc.

No its not oled but LCD and I appreciate it won't be as good but it was never reviewed as a cheap tv.

The issue's I've mentioned can be visible on dv yet not all the time,sometimes there are no issues.Some blu rays are fine while others are not .Same with DVDs and ota broadcasts.

In that review it was classed as Panasonic’s flagship LCD model for 2020) Surely it has to be capable of displaying dv and hdr in general as well as having decent upscaling.

It's catch 22 really. You need a better TV to watch HDR content, but you also take some steps back with new TVs when it comes to displaying worse quality material.

This is why I personally don't recommend TVs that can't really do HDR properly. If you are going to take a hit watching poorer quality material, you at least want to have the option of enjoying the latest and greatest sources without problems.

Panasonic's last true flagship was the DX902 in 2016. Since then, their 9 series TVs are just mid-range models. Their OLEDs have taken the flagship baton now.

It's catch 22 really. You need a better TV to watch HDR content, but you also take some steps back with new TVs when it comes to displaying worse quality material.

This is why I personally don't recommend TVs that can't really do HDR properly. If you are going to take a hit watching poorer quality material, you at least want to have the option of enjoying the latest and greatest sources without problems.

Panasonic's last true flagship was the DX902 in 2016. Since then, their 9 series TVs are just mid-range models. Their OLEDs have taken the flagship baton now.

Hi Dodgexander
Yeah I know what you mean but even a mid range tv shouldn't be giving problems like that. I will just have to pick and choose between good dv and not soo good and revert to SDR. As for the problem I had with settings trying to get rid of posterisatiin and the like,the only way I can watch most content without those is selecting true cinema,anything else is just ....bad . Ive tried lots of settings a no dvI cant get rid so its true cinema for everything I guess.
To say im not impressed with this tv is an understatement and I know others have similar issues with Sony's and such, which indicates that the tv is not faulty but i think it is but manufacturers say all within spec.☹️

Hi Dodgexander
Yeah I know what you mean but even a mid range tv shouldn't be giving problems like that. I will just have to pick and choose between good dv and not soo good and revert to SDR. As for the problem I had with settings trying to get rid of posterisatiin and the like,the only way I can watch most content without those is selecting true cinema,anything else is just ....bad . Ive tried lots of settings a no dvI cant get rid so its true cinema for everything I guess.
To say im not impressed with this tv is an understatement and I know others have similar issues with Sony's and such, which indicates that the tv is not faulty but i think it is but manufacturers say all within spec.☹️
Oh I forgot to add,even if I copy true cinema settings into custom the picture is terrible and nothing like what the true cinema picture is. Now thats odd isn't it?

It's hard to believe, but mid-range models do have issues with HDR. This is why in my best buy guide it starts with more expensive models:

I have seen too many times people go for cheaper models and regretting it. It's just not worth it.

What you describe with the picture settings may just be a bug with the TV's settings. Sometimes settings are locked in certain modes, and you can't match one mode to another exactly.

If you are at all critiquing the TV when using the TV with HDR material then you are never going to be happy, you really have to treat the TV as SDR only as it doesn't have the means to display HDR without problems. First thing to do when you have issues with a source is to make sure you are not using the HDR version.

Posterisation usually isn't a big deal, I get it on my own TV sometimes and it doesn't really bother me. It's either really bad on this TV, or you're using the TV beyond its means to display HDR material. Although to be fair, even the very highest end TVs can have posterisation. If you check some reviews on HDTVtest on youtube you'll see him rate the posterisation on all TVs. Sony's do a bit better as they have a setting to reduce it.

Oh I forgot to add,even if I copy true cinema settings into custom the picture is terrible and nothing like what the true cinema picture is. Now thats odd isn't it?

Like even out of the box settings, all presets apart from true cinema have these problems,posterisation,banding etc. I cant believe a manufacturer would ship TVs with these problems straight out of the box.
The mind boggles.

It's hard to believe, but mid-range models do have issues with HDR. This is why in my best buy guide it starts with more expensive models:

I have seen too many times people go for cheaper models and regretting it. It's just not worth it.

What you describe with the picture settings may just be a bug with the TV's settings. Sometimes settings are locked in certain modes, and you can't match one mode to another exactly.

If you are at all critiquing the TV when using the TV with HDR material then you are never going to be happy, you really have to treat the TV as SDR only as it doesn't have the means to display HDR without problems. First thing to do when you have issues with a source is to make sure you are not using the HDR version.

Posterisation usually isn't a big deal, I get it on my own TV sometimes and it doesn't really bother me. It's either really bad on this TV, or you're using the TV beyond its means to display HDR material. Although to be fair, even the very highest end TVs can have posterisation. If you check some reviews on HDTVtest on youtube you'll see him rate the posterisation on all TVs. Sony's do a bit better as they have a setting to reduce it.
I'm not really concerned about HDR really but these issues crop up on everything to some degree,streaming ,hd terrestrial,BD, and DVDs which i expect been 480.
Panasonic may have well shipped this tv with one preset as all others are terrible and barely watchable. I think panasonic pulled out of LCD market and used all the crap they were left with and produced these.

I was a Panasonic stalwart until I owned my DX902. Cracking picture quality TV but horrible buggy software. They still make very good OLED TVs, but I despise their firmware with a passion.

You'd get annoying bugs like one setting not activating in a certain picture mode, or the TV not entering the correct picture mode. You'd report it to them, but they'd never fix it.

I think the lifetime of my DX902 there was one software update with minor fixes, nothing else was ever fixed.

My previous main tv is a panny tx-55as650 which is now in a bedroom,it is superb compared to this.Only thing new one is better at is been bigger. Nevermind,we live and learn .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom