Is a new tv an upgrade?

Hi Dodgexander.
Yeah I know its not DSE, I was just saying on test screens I notice some DSE but its not the problem. As you mentioned on earlier posts I think it must be the quality of the feed unless I've had the misfortune to get 2 dud TVs but theres no issues on test screens or streaming 4k or at least very little.

Hi All
Well I've put down tv picture quality problems down to the quality of the feed but please have a look at this pic, this was on disney plus with dolby vision. As you can see his hair in parts is just a blotchy mess ,this also happens in all other dark areas. Surely this cannot be down to poor feed? Or is it simply the tv is faulty?
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220518_215451405_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220518_215451405_HDR.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220518_215232444.jpg
    IMG_20220518_215232444.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 40
Could be video compression, and how the TV operates on poor quality material.

So it could scale between the two and because it's so varied from scene to scene, TV to TV, the only way to determine is with at least 1080p blu ray.

Some TVs may handle specific low quality issues better, for example LG have black crush issues.

Then you have motion handling which further adds another variable..

Hi Rccarguy2
Thanks for the reply,isnt disney dolby vision better than 1080 blu ray? Tv does suffer similar problems although not as bad on some 1080 blu rays but not all. Should I not trust streaming even though its reportedly dolby vision?
Thanks

Dolby vision is just HDR. If the broadcast is high compression it'll look like crap.

Plasma TVs handled low resolution and compression broadcasts well hd ready or full hd plasma does well on terrestrial channels. I never saw any issues like banding on my kuro.

LCD didn't handle them as well. But again depends on the scaling, bitrate,.noise reduction routines, refresh rate and refresh rate processor, low black handling, whether cut dithers or not etc

Dolby vision is just HDR. If the broadcast is high compression it'll look like crap.

Plasma TVs handled low resolution and compression broadcasts well hd ready or full hd plasma does well on terrestrial channels. I never saw any issues like banding on my kuro.

LCD didn't handle them as well. But again depends on the scaling, bitrate,.noise reduction routines, refresh rate and refresh rate processor, low black handling, whether cut dithers or not etc

So streaming services can't really be trusted.Is there any other way apart from feeding tv native 4k content via a 4k player in order to rule out compression or poor upscaling?
Don't want splash out that kind of cash just to check if tv is faulty.
Thanks for replying

That does not look like 4k DV. Either your camera is a potato or you have internet issues.

also, need a picture taken from seating distance in the dark.

Looks.way too purple .I read something years ago with purple splotches can't recall what brand or TV type

Phantom Menace on my cx in the dark
20220519_003224.jpg

Disney+ 4k DV same as yours.

2Gb fiber over wifi, but that'll be no different then your 100Mbps in real usage.

Ah right, I'm starting to think this is just a faulty tv. ☹️
Oh just to add, I'm watching something on Netflix at the moment not in 4k or hdr just normal hd and theres similar issues but to a lesser degree and tv says the feed is 5 5mbps.

5mbps for hd is normal. It'll vary between 3-7/8 Mbps

What are your tv settings? How bright etc

5mbps for hd is normal. It'll vary between 3-7/8 Mbps

What are your tv settings? How bright etc
Oh ok
Picture settings are usually true cinema, backlight is on 20, contrast on 90, brightness untouched, left on default,all video processing turned off. I've tried lots of permatations .

I think the only way to be certain is to feed it uncompressed 4k content and if theres any of those problems then tv is a dud.

Do you have a 4k player? Happy to post up pics of mine if we have same discs to help solve the matter.

What with these issues and others like banding and posterisation I just think its a dud tv ☹️ and will have to through the rigmarole of returning it to retailer,thats if they accept that its faulty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom