Is a new tv an upgrade?

I've tried vivid color off as well as turnong off all the other stuff and selecting warm 1 or 2...no improvement. There is no filmmaker option on this model or night theatre settings unfortunately.I know what you mean about viewing angles but it doesn't make any difference even viewing full on ☹️I will preserve with true cinema and try to tweak the contrast and or backlight for daytime viewing etc. I will let you know how things go .thanks

Sometimes there are tweaks made to a preset you can't control. If this problem doesn't happen in Theater Night then it will only be a setting issue rather than a fault. A fault would mean the problem would appear in all picture modes.

I think the reason they kept discounting that TV is because it DOES have image retention, I see another larger dark square on the outside of the vertical bar, I don't care what the shop or anyone else says that is not banding. Either someone else has used it with static image and returned it or the shop has.
Getting a picture balance you're happy with might take a few more days of fiddling around, I was still tweaking my Panasonic OLED for weeks until I was happy. I tend to use the cinema mode with a few tweaks for movie watching and the custom preset (also with a few tweaks) for normal TV viewing, there is no hard and fast rule does adjust it until you are happy. I do find I like to use the colour temp on setting 1 even for normal TV as I find the whites too blue.
All the recommended Panasonic picture modes for me were useless as they were.

Thanks for the replies. Well I have tried everything I can think of and permatations and only the true cinema seems decent.However if in this mode I lift the brightness the problem I described earlier is visible,this always been in the bottom right area of the screen. ( See pics ) I maybe wrong but something is not right here. I've never had this problem on any tv and I've had a few. It looks like what you used to get on old pc monitors where the colours seemed to flood in certain areas. I was prepared to live with the vertical bar but not this as well. I think its been a previous return, maybe there was heavy discount for a reason.

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_062035845_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220331_062035845_HDR.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20220331_062013051.jpg
    IMG_20220331_062013051.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220331_062108652_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220331_062108652_HDR.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 48
In regard to the area in the pics, this image effect is only removed by reducing the brightness hence the best setting been true cinema as its the darkest and hiding the problem. Obviously this is a dud.

Oh I'd just like to add that no problems are present when on the tvs home screen. Arghhhh I dunno know.

I done a factory reset, watched on modes cinema and true cinema and they seem a lot better. Tried 4k HDR samples on youtube and the tv looks perfect. Must be my settings that are the problem i guess 😐
I will search to see if any owners are sharing their favourite settings.
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it.

Are you raising the brightness? You should only really raise backlight, and even then backlight should not be very high in SDR mode. Perhaps you are trying to overcompensate for the TVs lack of brightness?

I think what you are seeing is just compression artifacts from raised blacks. It is a problem on the 2021 TVs including their OLEDs.

No I took your advice and left brightness well alone. I lifted backlight in true cinema from 20 to 40 ( scale is 0-100) for daytime viewing which helped. I think your right about compression artifacts on the blacks. I've played a few blu rays (which never had any issues like this on my 55 " tv) and in certain scenes they suffer from this which I would never have expected off a blu ray.I checked some videos on youtube and they look dreadful ( in 480) barely watchable which I guess is down to the format as the ones in 720 are better.As I said before if I play something off netflix in 4kHDR it looks really good .
Are all 75 inch tvs like this? The size of the screen just magnifys the shortcomings of the file size because it seems as if anything below 1080 looks dreadful even terrestrial hd channels arent that good and the sd channels are also dreadful. My question is I suppose is even if I upgrade to the Sony x90j will it sufferr the same because of the quality of the content fed?
Thanks

You probably don't notice it because your old TV doesn't have as low black levels, and the new TV is significantly bigger too. Not just that, but upscaling also has to happen if they are 1080p sources.
I think the Sony X90J will be a small improvement, but it still has the near to black problems as it shares the same chipset.

It certainly is. People get shocked when they see problems with content that is less than native resolution, but that is just part and parcel of a bigger TV, especially a 4k one.

That's why I always say buy a new TV with a mind to watch 4k and HDR content, don't expect it to polish everything. Some older things may just be better off viewed on a smaller model, maybe even your old TV!

No wonder shops have tvs showing only 4k hdr content never terrestrial broadcasts, people would run a mile.Guesd I will just have to put up with it. Thanks for your advice and info,much appreciated.

Update to tv saga,I returned tv for replacement as I wasn't happy. However I wasn't very lucky in the panel lottery as the replacement tv has similar if not more banding issues but these are to a lesser degree so decided to keep tv ( took 3 weeks to get a replacement).Anyways as for picture quality issues previously mentioned when watching dvds and sd content it seems there's dvds and there's dvds. Some look terrible and some look very good,any Star Wars DVDs look very good . Same as tv channels,some look decent,others terrible which obviously excludes any blame to the tv.On 4k streaming via Netflix picture looks great so obviously its all to do with the quality of the feed tv is given. My only remaining issue is,what should I choose to do upscaling? I have a panny blu ray and a sony av which can upscale to 4k or should I leave it to the tv to do it all? Thanks for any replies.

Chances are your TV will do the best job, but you can experiment with different devices to see. Even if there's a difference, you likely won't notice it because the difference will be so small.

Hi Dodgexander
Thanks for the reply and will try your suggestions. One thing I'd like to ask is would it be worth investing in a 4k blu ray player solely for upscaling or again would the tv do a better job or at least match the 4k player?
Cheers for the reply.

Thanks for the reply (just checked price of the UB900) I'll be sticking with the tv doing it 😁
Cheers
Much appreciated.

You can pick them up for under 200.

I wouldn't buy one unless you planned on buying 4k discs though. Even then, newer&cheaper models are probably on par with the 900, if not better (except build quality). While it's no oppo, its built well.

Hi Hixs
Thanks for the reply. I think I will be waiting for 4k discs to fall in price before investing in 4k player .
Cheers

Please help if yous can. When playing dvds theres some awful problems with picture. Is it the quality of the feed, poor upscaling of the tv or is the tv faulty? Blu rays look better but not totally perfect. Even on disney plus and Netflix i still get some problems but not half as bad as dvds. Also have some issues with hd terrestrial channels but again not half as bad as the attached pics. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Please have a look

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_215957105.jpg
    IMG_20220513_215957105.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20220513_220015735.jpg
    IMG_20220513_220015735.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220513_215957105.jpg
    IMG_20220513_215957105.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 33

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom