Novice Member
Highlighted

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_220041231~3.jpg
    IMG_20220513_220041231~3.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 15

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Do as a said that will show up issues what is the cause.

Agent 17

Novice Member
You don't know where i could get those test screens or do i use youtube. Also if screen looks ok which it does on youtube test screens what does it indicate?
Thanks

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
YouTube is fine.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Ok . What am i looking for on test screens? If they look fine what does it indicate. Sorry for my ignorance.

Each screen should look even. No splodges or hot spots, bands etc.

Useful for oled, plasma, and led type. Also test for dead pixels /sub pixels (and lit pixels)

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Looks like compression to me.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Depends

Source video compression can introduce gradients
But so can TV itself depends on how good processing is, even with high bitrate I've seen this on BD planet earth, maybe one scene per episode

Agent 17

Novice Member
Depends

Source video compression can introduce gradients
But so can TV itself depends on how good processing is, even with high bitrate I've seen this on BD planet earth, maybe one scene per episode

Its a new tv, i suppose only way to make sure is feed it native 4k content via 4k blu ray player.
This is second tv ,first one had a big band in screen. Don't want to return it if its the fault/quality of the feed but on the other hand dont want to keep it if its faulty.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
That YouTube video will show up any issues when it comes to single colour (or combined colour, no or colour)

There are also great scale ramps which can show postersation.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
It's not faulty. you're giving it poor quality content, so it's showing you poor quality content.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
It's not faulty. you're giving it poor quality content, so it's showing you poor quality content

A good transfer dvd region 1 can look very good, with none or very little postersation, and no signs of compression..even when scaled to 4k.

I thought dvd will look horrid on 4k.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Ah right
So if it does show posterisation is the tv faulty?

Not necessarily. If you have 1080p and 4k bd and it shows on every single movie constantly, it could be the TV or some settings. Ie if I force 8 bit from the source and your TV is 10 bit..or some kind of contrast enhancing feature you have to max. Or it could simply be the disc.

I believe game of thrones on subscription season 8 suffered from really bad postersation.

You need to view that YouTube video, if it looks ok then you know screen uniformity is ok (or led backlight of its LCD) so then it would be something else .

Agent 17

Novice Member
Well i was going to say earlier, star wars dvds look quite good while some other dvds are horrendous which ,as yous say points to content issue. I just want to make sure I haven't got a dud. Nearing the end my 30 day satisfaction period.

Agent 17

Novice Member
Not necessarily. If you have 1080p and 4k bd and it shows on every single movie constantly, it could be the TV or some settings. Ie if I force 8 bit from the source and your TV is 10 bit..or some kind of contrast enhancing feature you have to max. Or it could simply be the disc.

I believe game of thrones on subscription season 8 suffered from really bad postersation.

You need to view that YouTube video, if it looks ok then you know screen uniformity is ok (or led backlight of its LCD) so then it would be something else .

Agent 17

Novice Member
I will run that test on youtube and let yous know. Will be tomorrow as its late here and the drink is going down well. Thanks for replies

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand