Is a new Mac Mini due soon?

Smeghead28

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was considering getting a basic Mac Mini to use as a PVR.
My only questions is is a newer model due out anytime soon that anyone knows of?
I know a new version will come at some point but I hate buying stuff only for a newer version to come out a couple of weeks later :mad:
Also is it possible to share the stuff I have on Itunes on my Imac with the Mac Mini,kind of like using the Mac Mini as an Apple TV device?

I am also waiting to upgrade my existing Mac Mini...

...but I strongly suspect a new one will not appear until the Autumn - alongside new iMacs, MacBook Pros and the Mac Pro.

Even so, if you are buying purely for PVR usage then one of the current models will more than fit the bill.

Hoping to pick up a new mini at some point also however it's generally the last of the line up to get a refresh :(

Toying with it myself too, but agree with the above. Its a little way off presently and not top priority. Sites like the above link suggest its due soon, but they said that for the iMac and that was overdue for nearly a year!

Think that is because everyday consumer market is moving increasingly away from desktop. So iPad and notebooks get the annual love :)

If you need it buy it now, no point in waiting. I dont see it being changed that much from the 2012 model, maybe HD5000 graphics and cpu bump.

Indeed. The current models are very good indeed, but I do follow the logic of not wanting to buy and then new models get announced too. If you do grab one now, I would consider going for the middle model with the i7 CPU. It's night and day the difference in horsepower to the base i5. Also leave RAM as stock and upgrade via Crucial. 2 second job to fit.

Indeed. The current models are very good indeed, but I do follow the logic of not wanting to buy and then new models get announced too. If you do grab one now, I would consider going for the middle model with the i7 CPU. It's night and day the difference in horsepower to the base i5. Also leave RAM as stock and upgrade via Crucial. 2 second job to fit.

I get the logic but I think the i5 would be okay for what I wanted it to do plus there is the £180 saving :D
I have already read and seen about upgrading the memory and I am more than comfortable to do it myself.
This would first are foremost be part of a PVR set up so I dont see the need for it to be a massive powerhouse as it were.
I would still be interested to know if I could playback stuff I have on Itunes on my Imac already without having to download it all again to the Mini.

If you're going to convert any of that pvr video then the i7 will come into its own. If not, then i5 is very capable too.

If you set up HomeSharing on both Macs, then you can watch your whole library from either machine without needing it stored on both.

Well today I bit the bullet and bought the i7 version, my first mac so just getting to grips with it.
I was going to wait to see if there was a new one, but as someone once said "if you wait for the newest you'll never buy anything"

Well today I bit the bullet and bought the i7 version, my first mac so just getting to grips with it.
I was going to wait to see if there was a new one, but as someone once said "if you wait for the newest you'll never buy anything"

Indeed :D
I have enough now to buy the base version which would more than do for my needs although I am holding out for a few days to see if anyone here has one they are considering selling.
Likewise I am on the lookout on ebay :devil: for one that might be close to me so I could collect it.

Indeed :D
I have enough now to buy the base version which would more than do for my needs although I am holding out for a few days to see if anyone here has one they are considering selling.
Likewise I am on the lookout on ebay :devil: for one that might be close to me so I could collect it.

I will no doubt be selling my i7 server model, but am waiting for a new model to come out as not in a hurry because mine is actually very good already. Makes me wonder why I am thinking of the change tbh. Lol.

Just bought a base i5 - using it as a home server although the 4gb ram will be upgraded soon.

I wanted it now so I bought it now - there will always be an upgrade round the corner. Amazon was the cheapest at £465.

Well I now have it :devil:
Coupled it to a Samsung External Blu-Ray drive that I had been using on my Imac and all seems okay so far,just need to get the external tuner.
Will more than likely get the Elgato Eye TV Sat as I already have a satellite cable in place that I plan on using and I want reliable HD which I have found it is generally better through a dish than an aerial.
Using the same mouse and keyboard that I have been using on the Imac and I seem to be able to switch using them between the two computers without any difficulty,so far anyway :)
Also copied across all my Itunes content as well using the time machine back up from the Imac.

One thing to take in consideration, the hd5000 graphics in my mba is absolutely superb. Graphics intensive opengl apps like aperture is so smooth, crunching through motion is instant. Very remarkable for a built in graphics card.

One thing to take in consideration, the hd5000 graphics in my mba is absolutely superb. Graphics intensive opengl apps like aperture is so smooth, crunching through motion is instant. Very remarkable for a built in graphics card.

I had a MBA for a few weeks and did find it very good.
The HD4000 in the Mac Mini was good enough for what I wanted to use it for though.
After I had some issues with the original one I purchased I exchanged it for a new one yesterday.
Alas on my way home I bought a digital camera that I couldn't resist or afford so the Mac Mini got sold,I still have my Imac though :D

I would like to think the next Mac Mini will have dual thunderbolt like the latest MBPs. I am using a 2011 Mini in a church projection system and am currently using the Thunderbolt for a second monitor, but would really like to also connect a Black Magic Thunderbolt HDMI input converter for a camera. An alternative would be a Thunderbolt hub, but they still don't seem to exist - unless anyone knows better.

Latest Mac rumours seem to be iMac end of August, new MBP Retina mid September. So probably Mini will be around then.

I would like to think the next Mac Mini will have dual thunderbolt like the latest MBPs. I am using a 2011 Mini in a church projection system and am currently using the Thunderbolt for a second monitor, but would really like to also connect a Black Magic Thunderbolt HDMI input converter for a camera. An alternative would be a Thunderbolt hub, but they still don't seem to exist - unless anyone knows better.

Thunderbolt hubs do exist. Just a bit pricey at the moment! Someone I know spent £250 I think on one!

Latest Mac rumours seem to be iMac end of August, new MBP Retina mid September. So probably Mini will be around then.

Thunderbolt hubs do exist. Just a bit pricey at the moment! Someone I know spent £250 I think on one!

I've looked around and I am struggling to find one, even at that price. The things that are advertised as hubs such as the Belkin and LaCie products are actually docks, aimed at providing other ports and just a single pass thru Thunderbolt. Can you point me to a product please ?

I've looked around and I am struggling to find one, even at that price. The things that are advertised as hubs such as the Belkin and LaCie products are actually docks, aimed at providing other ports and just a single pass thru Thunderbolt. Can you point me to a product please ?

Oh, that might be what I'm thinking of. Sorry!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom