1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a new aerial required ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by 4jbl7, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 4jbl7

4jbl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope this is the correct section to ask, if not, my apologies.
    Two questions really- our digi' tv with built in freeview box just ocasionally gets a poor signal reception and poor picture. I am soon hoping to put an LCD tv on the bedroom wall and use the same roof aerial- is this a good idea or should I have the roof aerial replaced with a better one ( current one is 20 yrs old ) and can I run both TVs with just one aerial and somehow split the lead ? Will the reception be OK on both sets?
    Hope that this makes sense.

Thanks
    4jbl7 :)

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would suggest that you got a new aerial if your existing one is that old. You might be losing a lot of signal strength via the existing co-ax cable. A new aerial and cable will not cost you a lot if you install yourself and less than £100 if installed by a pro.
    As for running two sets from one aerial. If you are having problems with signal strength now, you will only make matters worse by splitting the signal. You will effectively halve the signal strength. If you must run two TV's of one aerial then get an amplifier booster from B&Q or Argos. This will take the existing signal, amplify it and then split the amplified signal to each TV. They are not that expensive either.

3. 4jbl7

4jbl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Simon, I rather expected to have to replace the aerial and lead. I will get a local fitter to do the job and supply me with a good quality new aerial and efficient cable. Could I ask, is it possible to have the cable splitter/amplifier box on the outside wall or has it to be indoors ?
    Thanks

4jbl7

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Most of those that I have come across are not waterproof. You can fit a mast head amplifier, which boosts the signal immediately, but they are more expensive and obviously require mains power for them to work. Try and stick with an amplifier in the house. I have one behind my TV which then feeds all signals (TV, Video and Sky) to three bedrooms and a second downstairs room via four aerial cables going back around the house.