Is a Mac for me ?

With all due respect Ush, the powermac and G5 no longer exist so your information is way out of date. All new macs run dual core intel processors. Even the mac mini has a respectable performance with the latest upgrade.

haha, ooooh heres the problems with 3am replies!!
I totally didnt think about model names when i wrote that! when i mentioned powermac it was because i have been winding up a friend of mine calling her macbook an ibook and her imac a powermac.
I of course was talking about the Mac Pro when i meant serious money!
So yes, what i mentioned is well out of date! apologies for all that!
Brain is working today as far as i can tell!
Oh and i was aware of running windows natively on the intel machines. Handy in some occasions i guess

Dunkle for what you want to use the computer for a gig of ram on the mac should be more than adequate, its hard to relate to in PC terms but they dont need anywhere near as much unless you are into some hardcore rendering. The imacs that are out now (to be fair, i hadnt seen much about the new alloy imacs, they look good)

Im sure you wont be stressing the machine at all with the work load you are looking at.
Then again, without gaming or editing i doubt you would stress a £700 PC either. But if pretty OSX grabs your fancy then theres no harm in giving one a try. Be patient with learning the OS and you shouldn't have many problems... i just hope you aren't used to a 4-5 button mouse! kiss that goodbye!

Again, if it was me id spend the money to sort out a decent PC and keep it clean, Bloatware does ruin windows as we all know but you can get by without it, there are plenty of alternatives. I dont subscibe to installing tons of software that will make something faster.. Less is definitely more.
Mac's just aren't for everyone

Trafford center have, I quote "loads of them all except for the top model"

Looks like its up at seven for me

I'm in the same boat, I'm using a 7 year old Dell Laptop and it chugs along slowly. I want to go Apple, but trying to justify the extra expense and persuade the Wife to let me.

Just looked on the John Lewis site and they have 1 iMac and its almost a grand!!

I think I'll get mine refurbished from the Apple store, doesn't have to be the brand new model for me :smashin:

I'm SERIOUSLY considering Apple now.

This laptop has just taken half an hour to start!! After checking this, that and other then loading with nothing working!!GOD!

Interested how you get on Dunkle!

just do it - there are no downsides. I'm liking the mac side, but have parallels in case I need a pc occasionally. If you need more than that there is bootcamp which gives you a good spec pc laptop. So you can migrate to mac at your own speed.

Could i still use REW with a mac? For the ole sub set up?

REW is a java app yes ? ...

their website says "On Mac OS X platforms it may be necessary to download Java 2 SE V5.0 to get the V5.0 JRE. At the time of writing Release 4 was the latest available, but check http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ for the latest J2SE release. Release 4 can be downloaded here for Intel platforms and here for PPC platforms. "

Guess that's a yes !!

Jon

If they don't do a mac version then just get Parallels or VMFusion and run the windows version on your mac - can set it up now to launch so looks like mac app running !!

Jon

yup. This is what I did with DVD profiler until I could get the importing into DVD pedia working

I'm in the same boat, I'm using a 7 year old Dell Laptop and it chugs along slowly. I want to go Apple, but trying to justify the extra expense and persuade the Wife to let me.

Just looked on the John Lewis site and they have 1 iMac and its almost a grand!!

I think I'll get mine refurbished from the Apple store, doesn't have to be the brand new model for me :smashin:

The musnt have updated their website then yet, and that may be an older model.

John Lewis should have all the models in stock, so its worth popping down.

If you gonna spend £7-£800 i'd go for the newer model :) Plus its faster, so dont go the referb route just yet!

The new iMac 20" starts at £799

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...mm=browse&mco=163AA6A5&node=home/desktop/imac

the cheepest referb is £750 from apple store
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A35F9A3&nclm=Certified

Do you think Dunkle is being distracted by the 24" iMac yet? :devil:

Think he might be when he gets to the apple store and see it is all its sexy, sleek, shiny glory !!!

Jon

I'm in the same boat, I'm using a 7 year old Dell Laptop and it chugs along slowly. I want to go Apple, but trying to justify the extra expense and persuade the Wife to let me.:

I don't know if you still want a laptop rather than a desktop but Apple laptops are really nice, my mac is a Macbook pro and it is lovely, only downside is the single button. I have 1Gig of ram in it and It copes fine with two people logged in at the same time with browser, mail, instant messenger open. I will add some more ram at some point as I do more memory intensive things at times.

Hmmmmmmm Dunkle's missing.......c'mon Dunk what did you get????

I don't know if you still want a laptop rather than a desktop but Apple laptops are really nice, my mac is a Macbook pro and it is lovely, only downside is the single button. I have 1Gig of ram in it and It copes fine with two people logged in at the same time with browser, mail, instant messenger open. I will add some more ram at some point as I do more memory intensive things at times.

Single button? Downside? I guess you have not yet discovered that when you place two fingers on the touchpad it becomes a two button mouse :D Absolute genius implementation and whenever I am on a Windows machine I am trying to do the two finger trick, yes I am still talking about a touchpad :devil:

Yeah I use that but it isn't as good as a real second button IMO, and not to mention the lack of middle mouse(guess thats rare on laptops anyway).

Well I have had the day from hell which currently ses me fighting to keep my other half and house - funny how 12 hours can change so much

Yeah I use that but it isn't as good as a real second button IMO, and not to mention the lack of middle mouse(guess thats rare on laptops anyway).

Trust me that the lack of RSI will make up for that....But even so I find it hard to believe you actually prefer two buttom, this is so much quicker and the wrist doesn't have to make strange movements....But hey each to their own, I'd like to keep my wrist steady....

Well I have had the day from hell which currently ses me fighting to keep my other half and house - funny how 12 hours can change so much

Hope it all works out mate. Take it easy....

There's more to life than macs m8 - hope you can get stuff sorted ...

Jon

The main reason why I haven't just ordered one yet! I know she would be really miffed at me and could be grounds for divorce (only been married two months!!).

Her argument is we have more important things to pay for, like buggies and baby stuff...pah :D

Just keep her sweet, do anything for an easy and quiet life :smashin:

Well things pretty much sorted

Looks like I will get a Mac Mini (the cheaper price is biggest thing there) but will wait til this new OS is out (although as you can guess know nowt about that)

Good to see you back mate!

I'm liking the mini more and more......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom