1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is a hk amp worth buying over my sony db940?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shawn, Mar 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. shawn

shawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hi,

my mates moving abroad next week and hes selling his cinema system,
    just wanted some advice whever i should buy and whever im going to notice a improvment over my current setup,

my current amp is:

sony db 940c amp,
    eltax speakers all round.

the amp im thinking of buying:

hk avr 507

he said its a good amp alot better than my sony db940, and it limited edition not avalible in uk now, dont know how true this is, as im new to this,
    he wants 250 for it.

is it worth buying and am i going to notice a conciderable amount of diffrence from my sony? if i bought this amp, and lets say bought some tannoy speakers afterwards>?

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there any chance of you borrowing or at least listening to it?

I used to have a 940; it was superb for movies but not so good on the music (CD) side. If movies are your priority, I would need a serious demo to convince me that the HK was better.

I changed for the HK 8500 flagship receiver (as was) and I still have a nagging doubt that the 940 was not far behind.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I also used to have a 940 and have to agree that it is a great amp and was good value new and now makes a good used buy to upgrade I think you need to be looking at the Denon 2802/3802 as a minimum. I went from a 940 to a Yamaha A2 which was a lot better and then to a 3802 for its extra processing options.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    [QUOTE

I used to have a 940; it was superb for movies but not so good on the music (CD) side. If movies are your priority, I would need a serious demo to convince me that the HK was better.

I changed for the HK 8500 flagship receiver (as was) and I still have a nagging doubt that the 940 was not far behind.[/QUOTE]
    Hi Rolo
    What speakers did you run with the sony,are you still using the same ones.
    I think you would notice more the higher up you went with quality allowing the harman to show its true power.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

5. MKPatrick

MKPatrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the Sony STR xxxDB series are unsubtle, punchy home cinema amps that are generally outclassed by almost anything in their price range and above IME. I had an 830 many years back and, while a great amp for general surround duties, it;s woefully lacking in stereo and can be harsh and strident. It also has Sony's annoying lack of true analogue inputs - converting all analogue to digital and then back again whether it needs to or not.
    I'm not familiar with the HK amp in question but generally HK are tidy and well made, with decent stereo credentials. Whether it's worth £250 in the light of what's available new for that money is questionable. You can pick up a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R brand new at RS for that money, an amp that has wonderful tone and character in stereo and is no slouch in 5.1 and 6.1 duties.

Patrick

6. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think Gonzo may have a point regarding speaker quality. I've recently upgraded front L&R so time will tell ie once they're run-in.

Despite the other advice offered, I would still recommend a demo. It's how they sound to you rather than other people that matters.