1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a high resolution monitor really necessary?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by woody67, Mar 5, 2005.

1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I currently use a 19" monitor for PC use and mainly CAD work - this runs at 1280 x 1024 resolution. There is a big price jump to a bigger monitor, but resolution also goes up.

The higher resolution is said to be beneficial, as more windows can then be opened on screen.

However, as I would zoom in on text, images, drawings etc to make viewing more comfortable, I can't see the value of such high resolutions (except for photo image manipulation)

So, would I be correct in thinking that I would be better off using a medium sized LCD TV panel that has similar resolution to my current monitor, instead of a [much more expensive] high resolution PC monitor?

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think 1280x1024 is a particularly high resolution.... I have been using a 19" monitor at 1600x1200 for years now. One gets used to it pretty quickly...

In fact this is even a reason why I stick to a CRT for PC use (instead of an LCD). LCD screens of higher resolution are quite expensive, and unlike a CRT you cannot run an LCD at whatever resolution you like most. It only works well at one single resolution.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    The issue is going to be one of sharpness.
    Think about it. If you have a larger monitor, but at the same resolution, then obviously text and your drawings are going to be bigger. The dot pitch of the larger monitor is going to be greater, and hence if you continue to sit at the monitor at the same distance as your current one, everything is probably going to look a little less sharp. The bigger the monitor, the more noticable this will be, and you will find yourself looking at the individual pixels as they become more noticable. Things like jagged edges in diagonal lines will become more noticable.

In the same way that if you sit too close to your TV you eventually start being aware of the phospor pattern.