Is a High Definition feed throughout the house possible ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by rags, Dec 26, 2004.

1. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I just posted this on another forum but realised it might be better here -

I have been offered a cracking deal on three small Sony LCD TV's none of which has a DVI or HDMI input. Whether I buy or not depends on the advice I receive here.

Basically these LCD's will for the bedrooms upstairs. I currently have SKY+ in my living room connected directly to the main telly. The SKY+ signal is also sent to an RF amplifier in the loft which then sends the signal to all the bedrooms.

Now when SKY HD comes out I know that only TV's with a HDCP compliant input will work with it. However would it be possible to send the HD signal around the house as I am currently doing with SKY+ ? If so will this require a new amplifier in the loft (I assume this will require a different amplifier to my current RF one) and / or new cabling ? If it is possible then I would like my bedroom TV's to be HDTV compliant - but would I still need them to have a compatible DVI/HDMI input ?

If not then I might as well go ahead and buy whats currently been offered to me. By implication this would mean that you should only bother getting a HDMI/DVI (HDCP compliant) TV for you main room where you HD SKY box will reside and the rest of the TV's in your house are irrelevant unless you get multiple SKY boxes. Is my thinking correct ?

Thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    If you intend to distribute SKY's High Def broadcasts then they will have to be carried via DVI/HDMI cables with full HDCP compliance. Considering there are issues with the maximum length of such cables you might run into some problems, mind you if you have the cash then I suspect a solution would be possible. It will certainly not be a simple and as cheap as sending a RF/compsite/s-video data stream around the house:)

The US market already has server/slave systems that handle High Def broadcasts and many I believe are wireless based, sooner or later those sort of solutions will appear in the UK and would not surprise me at all for SKY to offer one themselves.

I think it's a little early to consider spending money on a system with multi-room High Def displays in mind, too much can happen in the next 12-24 months.

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Thanks Starburst.

I really wouldnt want to put in DVI / HDMI cables all round the house as that would be a nightmare and very expensive as well. A multi wireless solution would be fantastic if it becomes available in the UK.

So I guess I should hold out and buy the LCD's once things become a bit clearer ?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I would wait unless you can make full use of them today (upscaling DVD players, HD1 etc) or can guarantee that they have suitable HDCP compliant inputs which support the resolutions and refresh rates etc that SKY will use.

There is also a huge cost saving to be made in buying displays in the next two years, larger screens at lower prices which will make the current breed look seriously overrated:)