Is a "Free" 5 year guarantee worth it on LCDs?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Roger G Cam, May 7, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of us are chasing after John Lewis price matches - to grab the free 5 year guarantee. Now Panasonic are running a campaign through smaller local AV shops to offer the same 5 years free guarantee.

What's it worth?

You get a manufacturers guarantee for 1 years on purchase. Do you need anything after that?

The John Lewis web prices seem to be £100 to £200 greater than the web prices for the Panasonic 32LXD70.

JL - £900
    Comet £800
    Currys £683
    AJ Electronics £671
    RGB Direct £665

Of course all of these other firms are not offering the 5 year guarantee. So are we just paying for an extended warranty with JL? It sort of looks like it.

I have spoken to only one of the firms offering the Panasonic 5 year deal and they came in quite high - £949 - but I have others to talk to later in the week.

The question is - will the LCD go splat after year 1?

Odds on it will if you aren't covered - but at as much as £200 - is it worth it?

Anyone have any feel for the lifespan of LCDs?

Roger

2. dragonuk

dragonuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Why do you think we price match with John Lewis then. So we get it for the same prices as the stores that are selling it for cheaper.

Plus 5 years guarantee

3. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Panel life for Plasma is around 7yrs average, and LCD around 20yrs. So I am led to believe. Come on guys correct me. The backlight for LCD displays has I believe a 60,000hr lifespan. Whereas the plasma gas panel has a much shorter lifespan. So if your buying LCD if its perfect for the 1st yr which is cover by your manufacturers warrenty, I dont see the point in a 5yr warranty. Now if I were buying plasma? I would think about the extra yrs warranty.

4. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Yeh it is worth it, especially if the warranty is transferable to a new owner if you were to sell your tv.

5. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you can't price match the Internet Retailers. So you could get it cheaper?

6. Paul68

Paul68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have always said extended warranties arent worth the money.

But, Looking at the problem i have now got with my tosh 42wlt66 & that my mate had with his 37wlt66. i would always take out an extended warranty on lcd tv.s

7. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    For John Lewis i'd say it's worth it. Not just for the guarantee, but for their customer care and after sales. they seem to be one of the few firms who will honour their warranty without a fight.

As for what price you should spend on a warranty, i generally go by the "not more than 15% of the products overall value" rule. Personally i'm going to buy from John Lewis, but they seem to have a pretty good price on the set i want. If it was grossly overpriced and i couldn't get a pricematch i might've reconsidered.

8. DoLpHiNaToR

DoLpHiNaToR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest I could get my Tosh for online was £488, but got it price matched from JL for £549. I though it was worth the extra 60 odd quid for peace of mind for five years. If it was £160, I may have thought twice.

I think you have to put the internet prices and the JL pm into perspective as to whether it is worth the extra or not.

At the end of the day, no matter what brand you buy, they could go faulty at anytime!!