1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a DVi connection really important?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by woody67, Jan 2, 2005.

1. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it just picture quality, or are there any other advantages?

I don't have Sky and am not really concerned about their forthcoming high definition broadcasts.

If it's just about picture quality, then does the output device make a big difference in determining the signal quality - ie are some LCDs worse at processing the signal than others regardless of having a DVi connection?

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are connecting to something like a PC, make sure you use DVI. I tried my LCD on an analouge connection (VGA) and it looked terrible.

I don't know about other devices.

3. SCo4

SCo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No difference if the VGA is done well

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    DVI with HDCP is not just about SKY. It will almost certainly affect Hi-def DVD players in the future and other hi-def material. The owners of hi def software want to protect their investments.

5. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    But there are lots of CRT TVs around without DVi, and these are likely to be about for a good few years yet. So why is it so important for an LCD to have a digital connector? Won't RGB be just as good?

I currently use a dual LCD monitor PC set-up (one analogue and one digital), and although I don't watch TV on these, clarity seems the same.

6. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Current CRT's will not display Hi-Def material thou m8, thats what DVI with HDCP is all about, to a certain point they are Future Proof as far as anything can be.

I think I am right in saying CRT's compress the DVD picture to fit etc, they do not display the true resolution of a DVD they certainly dont display 1280x720 etc, not even as high as most Plasma's which display 800x480 etc. CRT's are far less.

Taz

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You are not right at all ! There are CRT displays for PC's which will easy go up to 1280 x 1024 and beyond, but the difference is that they cost a heck of a lot more than the average domestic TV. It is possible to display very high definition pictures on a CRT, but because of geometry problems inherent in CRT displays, it costs a lot of money to produce a good monitor. Also, it's harder to get good geometry and focus on CRT displays bigger than 21", and before anyone tells me that they have a good quality 36" TV, try connecting a PC to it at 1024 x 768 and see how much you can read on the screen :)

8. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta say, on my Sharp LC32GA4E I can't tell any perceptible difference at 1368 x 768 resolution between analogue VGA (via a decent quality 6m Van-Damme cable) and digital DVI (via a 7.5m Lindy cable).

Phil

9. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I mean CRT TV's not Monitors m8.

Taz

10. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    PhilipH,

I have to buy a DVI cable for my new LC26GA4E. Can you recommend one please.

Do I need to buy a DVI-I cable or DVI-D cable? Can you explain the difference to me please.

Wlli be running from my PC DVI-I output, Graphics card is a GEforce FX5700LE.

Also with a long run of cable, say over 5m but no longer than 10m, does this affect the picture quality.
    Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

11. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually plasmas that display 848x480 (so-called WideVGA) do not have sufficient resolution for PAL. PAL is 720x576, which a decent SD CRT will be able to display and thus can display all the detail in DVDs.

Also, Philips (and I'm sure other manufacturers) already have HD CRTs in the US that can display 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced) and come with a HDMI input.

12. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I totally agree