1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a DVI Connection Essential?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by reckless, Aug 24, 2004.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    As per the title. I'm interested in the Sony MRX1 set and whilst I think the picture on there is terrific, I'm a little concerned that it has no DVI input which seem to be becoming more commonplace.

Is the lack of this connection critical?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi,

A non-HDCP compatible DVI could become quite limiting in the next couple of years as we begin to get HD satellite broadcasts and Blu-ray/HD DVD players which will probably not have HD component outputs. If you are only intending to connect a PC, it wouldn't be a problem not to have DVI-HDCP. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Dutch. I don't intend to use a pc on the screen at the moment, I'm simply concerned that if DVI is that much better and becomes the standard method of connection that I'm going to be buying something that will severely restrict me in the future.

I know there are other LCD screens that feature DVI but my wife (and myself) are very keen on this set unless the lack of this connection is of critical importance.

Cheers for your input!

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think it's an issue of not being critical right now, but it potentially could be in future.

Right now DVI equiped source devices are in the minority, but the lack of DVI (or more importantly, HDMI) could become serious depending on how HDTV broadcasts go. At present boxes capable of decoding Euro1080's HDTV broadcasts have component outputs, but who's to say that if they want to start broadcasting programmes that people will want to watch (rather than what appears to be for the most part demo material at the moment), the rights holds won't insist that boxes should have be copy-protected digital output only for HDTV output?

And it's not clear yet whether Sky's HDTV service will have component outputs as well as digital connections (although admittedly at present little is known about the service). If for some reason (e.g. insistence of the rights holders) SKy elected to make the box digital output only, you'd be stuffed unless the box also had standard definition outputs (but then why would you subscribe to a HD service if you couldn't benefit from the better picture?).

At the end of the day, if you're going to have the Sony for a long period of time, it's possible you might well rue the lack of digital inputs. If you're one of these people who can afford to swap & change their TV every 6 months or so, I wouldn't worry about it...

5. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    More like about every 6 years not months :)

I think this entire HDMI copyright issue is a real headache. Seems to me that it's all in such a state of flux that it's impossible to figure out what's reasonably going to happen. It's seems to me that I either pick a screen that neither my wife or I particularly like but which has a HDMI input or buy this one and hope that hd broadcasts are available via component.

I hate making decisions like this. The last time I bought a tv I picked one with an integrated digital tuner (new out at the time) as I thought that digital would be the way to go. I'm still waiting for them to switch on my area. At first they said, "within a year", now they say "it'll be years, if at all".

so then, HDMI or not HDMI, that is the question.......

6. brotherbear

brotherbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see there are a few people on here concerned about the whole HDMI/DVI Vs component thing. It really is impossible to know what to do. My own thought is that if they do make HD sky boxes and HD DVD players without component outputs it's gonna severely limit the potential market. Most people I know haven't even heard of component let alone HDMI/DVI. They are only just coming to terms with RGB scart. Admittedly I am talking of people who are not so 'clued up' on this kind of thing but this probably represents 99% of the population? These forums are very popular but it's a very small minority who are up on the latest stuff. People have TV's with component and when HD is released these will still be relatively new sets. Are all these people gonna trade them in for new ones? I doubt it.

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah it is tricky. Personally, if I were Sky, I'd want to launch my service with component outputs as a minimum, as that would give access to a far wider potential user base - something that's especially important considering how much of a niche market HDTV is in the UK right now. As a consumer I want them to launch with component, DVI & HDMI outputs so i can buy a screen now and know it'll definitely be capable of receiving the broadcasts.

But I think it'll really come down to what the rights holders require of Sky in return for giving access to HD material.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Surely it is more like HDMI, DVI+HDCP, DVI or none of them?

As far as DVD's played on standalone players are concerned, if your going to keep your investment for a few years or more and want the best chance of future proofing, its certainly got to have HDMI or DVI+HDCP plus component - I don't honestly think that $ky will have anything other component for their HD service boxes which is why i think that digital + component is necessary.

I personally believe that a digital input without HDCP compliance will be very limiting in the future. This is especially true now that Hollywood are taking to court DVD licensed chip manufacturers who sell to companies that bypass copy protection so cheap DVI/HDMI DVD players may fall by the wayside. Another thing are the HD DVD formats. Im sure, something will also happen in the PC market to prevent PC playback of HD sources onto a non HDCP sink - screen, repeater etc at full resolution.

Don't be fooled by people saying that we don't know what the digital formats will be or HDCP will change. Other countries have had HD TV for a while and in their markets, HD component, DVI+HDCP or HDMI are pretty much standard and they certainly are not going to invent a new format just for us.

When new screens are launched globally the manufacturers remove the digital connections for our market because we don't have true HD sources yet and it will give them a chance to sell you a set now and again in a few years time when everyone is convinced that they need HD.

Also, please do not confuse HDMI and DVI+HDCP. Logically, they both provide the ability to view CP sources via a digital feed.

-Ian

9. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for all your comments. Have to say that I'm going to bite the bullet and have just ordered the Sony.

Cheers.

10. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I would say is that I've seen screens saying that they are "HDCP Version 1.0 Compliant" suggesting that in the future there will be new versions (I guess thanks to the hacker community). So, do all these devices coming out with HDMI and DVI-HDCP have flashable firmware to take these updates? Otherwise we're looking at a whole new route of obsolescence.

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Ignoring the technical working group (TWG) revisions and the upstream protocol, there are already two version of HDCP. 1.0 was published in Feb 2000, 1.1 was published in June 03. Both 1.0 and 1.1 compliant devices are interoperable. There are no published revisions that I can see.

I would like to think that, in the event of a future change, this policy will remain.

Your comment about new versions due to hacking is interesting and already covered under the protocol. The TWG have already contemplated the situation whereby an authorised participant in the authentication protocol may become compromised so as to expose the Device Private Keys it possesses for misuse by unauthorised parties. This appears to be transparently handled by a revocation list that the HDCP Transmitter checks during authentication. Other authorised HDCP receivers are not affected by this revocation because they have different sets of Device Private keys.

My interpretation of this is say the private key for a particular model screen is compromised, then future digital content, ie future DVD's will have details of this breach. This will be detected by the transmitter, ie DVD player and that content will fail to play only on that screen or make and model. I cannot find what the granularity of this will be, whether this will affect a particular make and model or just a single individual screen - I suspect just the latter. Whatever it may be, IMO, this poses greater risk than a change in HDCP specification.

-Ian