1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a dedicated sacd player a lot better than a sony 900 dvd player

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by tony kop77, Mar 13, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I just read someone recomend get a dedicated sacd player rather than a combined sacd and dvd player. If i bought a dedicated sacd player will i notice the diffrence. I must admit i dont have any sacd albums they dont sell them in local stores and there is only about 30 albums available and apart from the who the rest dont apeal to me much.

2. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    then why would you buy one ?

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    I was just curious how much better a dedicated sacd player would be. I dont plan to buy one not untill there are more albums that i want to buy.

4. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I guess you could find a place that does demos ,try them out for yourself

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Can anyone give me a few sites for sacd titles please. I have checked play 247 but they only have about a list of 30 and i tried yahoo and all i got was sacd players or reviews. I have checked dvd box office and they have a lot of sacd titles but would like some more site prefer them to be in uk if possible.
    Thank you for your help

6. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try vivante and if memory serves, someone mentioned red trumpet. Try putting a thread in the HiFi forums, these boy's might give you a better answer on your main question. I would think that a pure player would be better as the laser in the combined player would be dual function, and therefore not as suited to SACD as a pure player. It certainly hold true for normal CD players, so I wouldn't think it was much different for SACD.

7. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the following

www.redtrumpet.com (USA based ... I buy on a regular basis from here)
    www.amazon.com
    www.amazon.de
    www.amazon.co.uk
    www.dv-depot.com

8. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a lot more than 30 ... there is a large selection of albums by the Rolling Stones and a number by the Police ... but in general your comment is correct.

Will you notice the difference? to be honest this really depends on the rest of your system (speakers, amplifier, etc). If you want to get the best from SACD you will need at least four full range matched speakers.

To give you something to think about ... I got a flagship Sony stand-alone SACD unit and I was much more impressed by the difference in performance between playing CDs on my SACD unit versus playing CDs on my DVD player (the difference was amazing) than the difference between CD and SACD (difference was much less than I had expected).

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +273
    Thank you for your help. How long does it normally take for them to arrive from red trumpet and do you get charged any shipping costs or hit by customs?
    I have looked at a few sites and some sites will have 1 album from an artist but not another. Try www.dvdboxoffice.com they seem to have a lot of sacd. When i said you could only choose from 30 sacd titles i meant play 247 only have about 30 if that to choose from.

10. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I live in Dublin the situation regarding customs may be slightly different but in general I never have problems if I avoid delivery by courier which means that delivery takes a bit longer.

All orders to date have arrived within three weeks this is much better than www.amazon.com and about the same as www.amazon.ca (Canada).

I just checked my most recent order and the delivery charge was a bit excessive at Euro 11 for two discs but this was compensated for by the price reductions which applied to pre-orders.