Is a dedicated CD player worth buying over an existing Blu-Ray player with external DAC?

JoyDivision1982

Standard Member
I know this question has probably been asked 1 trillion times but I was wondering about my specific circumstances. I have a Marantz CD6000 OSE LE that is while it has been a suburb player for the past 20 years it is now on its last legs. The draw doesn't open and close properly (could be a belt?), there are some dry solder joints on the RCA output and display is now very dim. I don't think it is worth fixing for these reasons.

In the meantime I have been using my 12 year old Panasonic Blu-Ray player as a CD player connected to my Cambridge DAC 100 but it is a bit clunky and even though a DAC I don't think it sounds as good as the Marantz via the same DAC although it might be my ears tricking me.

I was looking at second hand CD players but the high prices and age of these is putting me off as I am very unlucky generally with CD players. I was looking at a cheap Tibo unit but I think it was be pretty rubbish as I cannot find the specs for it so I am guessing it is just a DVD transport fitted into a pretty case with a poor power supply and DAC etc.

The Denon 600NE looks like a fine CD player for the money, but £250 is a lot of money for me will it be any better sound wise than the Blu Ray player I already have? and could it even perhaps sound better than my DAC100? Given the UK is currently looking likely to go into the 25th lockdown now might be a good time to invest in a CD player though :p. On a side note I do use streaming and vinyl as my primary sources but I still have a lot of CDs I enjoy playing as discs rather than simply ripping them all.

Mark wrs

Standard Member
A used Arcam cd72t would be my weapon of choice...cracking players at a decent price on the used market...might even be better than your external dac and if you can stretch to the cd82, even better.

gibbsy

The Denon will be better. More modern DAC which is pretty good. CD players have one job to do and in my experience standalone players are better than entry level blu ray players when connected direct to an amp by analogue. Buying new you will also have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty.

DT79

Distinguished Member
I know this question has probably been asked 1 trillion times but I was wondering about my specific circumstances. I have a Marantz CD6000 OSE LE that is while it has been a suburb player for the past 20 years it is now on its last legs. The draw doesn't open and close properly (could be a belt?), there are some dry solder joints on the RCA output and display is now very dim. I don't think it is worth fixing for these reasons.

In the meantime I have been using my 12 year old Panasonic Blu-Ray player as a CD player connected to my Cambridge DAC 100 but it is a bit clunky and even though a DAC I don't think it sounds as good as the Marantz via the same DAC although it might be my ears tricking me.

I was looking at second hand CD players but the high prices and age of these is putting me off as I am very unlucky generally with CD players. I was looking at a cheap Tibo unit but I think it was be pretty rubbish as I cannot find the specs for it so I am guessing it is just a DVD transport fitted into a pretty case with a poor power supply and DAC etc.

The Denon 600NE looks like a fine CD player for the money, but £250 is a lot of money for me will it be any better sound wise than the Blu Ray player I already have? and could it even perhaps sound better than my DAC100? Given the UK is currently looking likely to go into the 25th lockdown now might be a good time to invest in a CD player though :p. On a side note I do use streaming and vinyl as my primary sources but I still have a lot of CDs I enjoy playing as discs rather than simply ripping them all.
I think the difficulty is that any CD player or transport via the DAC may sound the same as the blu-ray player, although functionally should be quicker and more convenient to use.

I was using my Oppo 203 as a transport into my amp for CD playback but just had an insatiable/irrational itch for a ‘classic‘ CD player. I got a Marantz CD63 MkII KI which was great (just used as a transport) for a while, but it started not reading discs. Then I found myself looking at lovely Sony ES machines from the 90s, but common sense prevailed and to stop myself from wasting money I got an Audiolab 6000CDT. My impression (for which I do not pretend to have any rational explanation) is that it sounds better than anything else I tried.

DT79

Distinguished Member
The Denon will be better. More modern DAC which is pretty good. CD players have one job to do and in my experience standalone players are better than entry level blu ray players when connected direct to an amp by analogue. Buying new you will also have the benefit of a manufacturer's warranty.
Agreed, in all likelihood you could buy the Denon and use it as an integrated CD player and it would be better, but I’d only do that if you can home demo it and return it if you’re not happy. ’Just in case’ (It sounds the same as the blu-ray via your DAC).

Last edited:

MaryWhitehouse

I'd suggest the Denon will sound different but probably not better than what you have. You may like it more of course. I'm certain it will be quicker and easier to use though. Again buy from somewhere with an easy returns policy.

JoyDivision1982

Standard Member
Thanks I am learning to towards the Denon as my last ever CD player, and if it sounds better than my aging Cambridge DAC that is also a bonus.

I might wait and see if we enter a new lockdown, if we do then I might have a bit more money to spend on toys :p

I think I will avoid buying used because my poor luck with CD players (that is a another thread in itself!) and in my experience they always break but a new Denon should last a while hopefully.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Given the limited budget, I'd suggest staying with the Panasonic Blu-Ray player + Cambridge DAC 100 that you've already got. I doubt you'll get much of an audio improvement, even second hand, especially if you've been unlucky with the mechanical aspects of CD players.

Otherwise, consider the Yamaha CD-NT6760D. Although it's over your budget, it's also a nice streamer and FM/DAB/internet tuner, and has Bluetooth & Airplay. I have one in the office as a universal source.

Last edited:

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Richer sounds have some good cd players.
My little lady has a Cambridge AXC35 cd player paired with a Cambridge amp. The built in DAC on the cd player ( Wolfson) sounds pretty good.

Onlythesound

My Sony UBPX800M2 doubles very nicely as a CD player and is a mean Blu-ray player at £279 in Richer Sounds at the moment.

Melbolivar

Novice Member
Hello everyone,
What would you choose(budget 400$) for a new cd player:

#1 choice, nad c538
2# cambridge axc35

Or a second hand Marantz cd 6006(300$).

System:Rotel RA1520, kef R300

Music preference: rock, metal, jazz and little cds with electronic.

Cheers
Mel

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Hello everyone,
What would you choose(budget 400$) for a new cd player:

#1 choice, nad c538
2# cambridge axc35

Or a second hand Marantz cd 6006(300$).

System:Rotel RA1520, kef R300

Music preference: rock, metal, jazz and little cds with electronic.

Cheers
Mel
I believe that NAD should fit your needs the best. It has that nice, thick sound that goes great with metal and rock. Cambridge would be very neutral and Marantz smooth, easy-going.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom