Quantcast

Is a Cruise just a glorified Butlins on sea?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I have to admit, I don't like the idea of cruise either. When I am visiting somewhere on holiday, I like to get out early and explore before the crowds. I like to maximise my days and end them late in the evening enjoying local cuisine and having a leisurely drink somewhere scenic.

The idea of having to disembark the ship and not get to the key locations until mid-morning and then having to rush back to the ship in the early evening is like hell to me. It must be like having an hotel with a curfew!

leedebs

I never thought I would go on a cruise either, wifey hates the water as well so it never really came into discussions until we were stuck a few years ago with a week off & no plans (normally she has this sorted as I leave that to her;)) , someone mentioned a cruise and a Thompson one (or whatever they are called now) came up round the Med that was sooo cheap we thought ok lets go with it. As I said on my previous posts we both really enjoyed it, met some lovely people and yes of course there are some that are not so nice (but that happens whenever you travel & you just avoid them as the ship is big enough). Nothing like waking up in a new destination & plenty of time to visit places if you do your research. Anyway, we went again last year round the Canaries because we hadn't been to any of the islands or Morocco before so we figured this would be a good way to see them, we really liked it. Some enjoy some do not we are all different. By the way the cruise round the Med was the first time in 30 years we had not booked everything independently so all inclusive etc was a bit new. Would I go again, yes, would I recommend to everyone, no, although like everything in life try it once:) you never know😉

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
A cruise is about as different as it could be from our usual holidays. We usually do road trips without an itinerary. My ideas of hell is sat by a pool or shoulder to shoulder on a beach. But I have agreed to give it a try for a week. I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.

sunday2

My ideas of hell is sat by a pool or shoulder to shoulder on a beach
That is the same to us!
Would I go again, yes, would I recommend to everyone, no, although like everything in life try it once:) you never know
I agree, that is what I said before: Try it and than like it or leave it. Normally we do a cruise one year and a "normal" holiday next year. But normal means to us with a lot of tours included. Just to stay at the pool or the beach is too boring for us.

In general I like the idea that I can go back to the ship after a long tour in a new city. Sometimes I want to see more. Then it is good when we have 2 days like in LA and San Francisco during one of our last cruises. In a place like Puerto Vallarta in Mexico you could stay 2 or 3 days, but one day gives you a good impression already. There we just walked around the whole day and went back with a public bus.

That video I have just finished. If you like you can have a look at it.

Top Bottom