1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a contrast ratio of 200:1 enough?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by godi32, Oct 2, 2001.

1. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I can buy a sony VPL-CX10 LCD projector for very little money (1190£) but it has a contrast <br />ratio of 200:1. Is this enough to enjoy home cinema or should I look elsewhere? Also can someone check it's other specs for me and give me some feedback please. I'm fairly new to the home cinema market and would appriciate any feedback. <a href="http://www.mofo.clara.co.uk/PDF/VPL-CS10.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.mofo.clara.co.uk/PDF/VPL-CS10.pdf</a>

Thank you very much!

Dirk <br />Belgium

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    XGA resolution and 1200 ANSI lumens for less than £1200 is a bit of a bargain. At that price I don't think you can afford to be too picky about the contrast ratio.

Is this a second-hand/used projector?

There are better home theatre projectors on the market (Sanyo PLV30/Toshiba MT1), but they'll cost at least £2000 and won't offer the brightness or resolution. However, they might give a more pleasing picture.

The Sony you've picked is a business presentation projector, so video quality may be a low priority. Features like 16:9 compatibility don't appear in the spec and there's no dB figure for fan noise. Also check the expected lamp life. If it is only 1000 hours this could become a very expensive projector to run.

If your budget is £1200 and you've never owned a projector before then I'm sure you'll be pleased with the Sony.

Regards

3. godi32

godi32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply.

The lamp life is 2000 Hours and there is between 34-36 DB fan noise. Some projector
    sale points on the internet say it has a 16:9 feature but most of them don't mention it.

What do you think about the connection possibilities? Are the sufficient?

I can buy a new sanyo PLV-30 in Germany for £1588 including 3 years of warranty.

Would you go for the Sony or the Sanyo?

I forgot to tell you that I need to replace the lamp of the sony because it has been
    projecting images during an exhibition from May till now.

What is the most important think for home theater use, the brightness and the
    resolution or the contrast ratio (I've heard that this determines the black level?)

Normally the Sony sells for app. £3100 and the Sanyo for £1904. Is this difference
    justified do you think?

Thanks again for your effort,

Dirk
    Belgium

4. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can afford the extra, go for the Sanyo. Imagine a situation where your pleased as a pig in s**t with the Sony, then you just happen to see the Sanyo in action! Repent at your leisure, as they say. Go for the Sanyo mate.