IS A 'Contractual Parking Charge Notice' Legally Binding?

stranger

Prominent Member
Reaction score
There may be old threads on this but I could not find one.I also need up to date information.
I've looked at some other sites but they aren't clear (to me) and most are outdared.

Info.
A relative used my car on Christmas eve (with my permission and named on my insurance)
and stayed 15 minutes over the allotted time on a B&M car park.
I have now received one of these letters from G24 'pay £90 or £50 within 14 days'

I received the letter dated 28/12/17 on 04/01/18 so it doesn't give me much time to act or not!
If it is legally binding I will of course pay it immediately.
To compound this, there is a £2.50 charge whether using a credit or debit charge and sending a cheque may be risky given their time limits.
Any solid advise would be appreciated.

Last edited:
They seem to have force, except in Scotland these days. Pepipoo is the standard website for this kind of thing. I’ve had the odd one at a local Starbucks, but they withdrew when I appealed.

If it's a store car park (managed by a parking company) and the occupants were shopping there, given the time of year it's quite reasonable to spend a while browsing within; it's worth contacting the store manager who may be able to get it quashed.

If its any help - I had a parking ticket from a private company after nights parking in a hotel car park. My wife arranged it all as a surprise so I had no involvement with the hotel. I just parked the car in the hotel car park and started drinking. I subsequently received a ticket from this outfit for not feeding the machine. Apparently shoppers in the town also used the car park on an hourly basis. The attendant assumed we were shoppers that hadn't paid and slapped a ticket on us. A quick phone call to the hotel and problem sorted.

Yes it’s enforceable.

However they need to follow the rules. Did you know you were overstaying?

The OP said it was a relative borrowed the car.
Is the detection by entrance/exit ANPR or by warden?
Were there lengthy queues in and out (24th December retail!)?
Did your relative sit tight and wait for the queue to disperse before leaving?
Could that have accumulated to the extra 15 minutes - could very well constitute extenuating circumstances.

If the above doesn't work ( some good suggestions) I think they also have to argue that the penalty is fair in regards to the time of overstay. £50 for a 15 min overstay would seem excessive. I understand that others have challenged this and paid closer to £10 as a gesture to cover the admin.

I spent a year going backward and forwards over a similar thing, depending on the company they can be absolute a -holes and will push and push till they get you to back down. I didn't and eventually got it dropped but was threatened with court dates and all sorts. I'm still surprised when shopping companies use them. I've never been back to place where I got my ticket. they are never having my business again

Also a £2.50 debit card charge is excessive. I would ask them to explain how they have come to such a fee

I went bowling with kids and friends and overstayed a 3 hour free parking by around 8 minutes, cameras on the way in and out , we had spent well over £150 between us on the kids bowling, arcades, food etc, i called the bowling alley after receiving a penalty notice in the post, they asked for the number on it and said they will deal with it and i won't have to pay anything, havnt heard anything since and that was around 6 months ago

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom