1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Computer with DVI better than DVD?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StephanSeattle, Mar 13, 2005.

1. StephanSeattle

StephanSeattle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought an InFocus 4805 and I am a beginner with AV. I was wondering if I would get higher quality with my notebook (latest Toshiba M2) with DVI rather than my DVD (Progressive Scan) with component cables.

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Not necessarily - it would depend on many things.

As you have the necessary gear already (assuming you have a suitable DVI cable to connect to the PJ as well), it can't hurt to experiment and see what you think.
    Also try the DVD player in interlaced component output - the deinterlacer in the PJ may be better than DVD player's - costs nothing to try it!
    The other thing about this is that with the DVD player in progressive mode, the signal frequency on the component cables is twice what it is when the player is outputting interlaced signals - if your cable run is long and/or your cables are not top notch, this may make a difference too (EDIT - top notch doesn't necessarily mean high priced either)

Unfortunately, as is so often the case, there isn't a definitive yes/no, black/white answer!

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    While it's true a PC is capable of producing a better PQ than a DVD player, even an expensive one, to do so requires several things to cooperate (hardware and software) which takes time (sometimes a lot of time) to setup.

Sadly there's no easy cost-free way to try, but you can get a 7-day refund of TheaterTek which is one of the best software players and comes with arguably the best mpeg decoders, it'll be a good way to see what you laptop is capable of in its' base form.

Alternatively many people think PowerDVD or WinDVD is better for them, not sure if there are trial versions of those.

There are other alternatives, one even completely free but you'd need to use a couple of open source projects that are very much work in progress and I would not suggest diving into that sort of setup to begin with.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you are a beginner then I'd go with a DVD player 1st.

I'm convinced you can get better PQ with a HT PC but I am not so convinced that it would be worth the time, effort and money... especially when convenience dictates I may end up simply pressing play on the DVD rather than booting up the HTPC anyway.

DVI is interesting too. Fairly new from what I can see, potentially a cleaner/better PQ for sure, but gremlins seem to abound esp with long cable runs. Component is well established as a video transmission format and does a darn good/reliable job.

Start with DVD player through component and it will set your benchmark. You may even be happy with it! :)
    ...PJ

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    StephanSeattle

You need to Differentiate between a Desktop and a Laptop.

With a Laptop your usually limited to using the graphics adapter provided by your hardware vendor (though I'm sure someone somewhere will point to a way to swap out the graphics adapter :) ) the guys and girls who use a PC as a Video Player do so using Graphics cards, Video Capture Cards, Sound Cards, Software etc that are built or tested for this purpose.

Its worth experimenting though I'd suggest a custom (Desktop) Home Theatre PC vs. DVD player is the more viable option.

Its also worth considering that your Projector will take a couple of hundred hours to 'run in' and there is plenty for you to learn and try with simple tweaks to the projector before your getting an optimised image form your DVD player.

Best regards

Joe

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    This was a factor that initially put me off, but the Z2 takes 30 seconds to "warm up" so by the time this has done the pc is booted and ready to go.