Question Is a BluRay player 4k upscale worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by craig7, Jun 10, 2019.

1. craig7

craig7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi folks, I have a 4k TV 65inch Samsung qled qfn6. I already have a bluray player but I was wondering if upgrading to a 4k upscalling player I would see a difference in quality? I am guessing my TV will try and upscale the 1080p source I have just now so would it be a waste of money? It's all 1080p bluray discs I have.

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,765
    Yes. No point in buying a player to upscale when your TV can probably do just as good a job.
    If you were to buy a 4K player and buy 4K discs it would be a different matter.

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,388
    The Samsung has to have a very good upscaling ability as most of the programmes it receives will be 1080i at best. On balance then the Samsung is going to do a better job than a 4K player. If you just have blu rays with little or no intention of buying 4K discs then there may be no reason for you to buy a 4K player.

There are 4K players that excel at upscaling but these tend to be the higher end models, Panasonic 9000, Pioneer LX500/800. Even then it's difficult to tell the difference between those models and the actual upscaling of the TV itself. I've toggled between the TV (Panasonic 65FZ802) and my 4K player (Pioneer LX500) and it is hard to tell the difference.

What a 4K will give you, should you wish to invest in 4K discs, is the ability to portray Dolby Vision and HDR10+ for what is the best in colour reproduction. The majority of 4K discs will also be likely to have a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack, although that is only useful if you have a minimum speaker set up of 5.1.2.

4. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    I dont know how samsung TV upscales, but ill guess fairly well. my LG oled do very well.
    players ,even expensive players like the Panasonic UB9000, Oppo 203 and Pioneer LX800, dont upscale 1080P to well, a XBOX one s will do better. So if no need for 4K playback you will most likely not get any benefit of a 4K player. Some older BD players also handle SD to HD, or SD to UHD upscaling better than the new UHD players.