Question is a a chance to get eArc on the LG C8+ series

gkatz

hi guys;
do you think a firmware update can arrive/will arrive adding eArc to the C8 Oled (and up), its the only thing holding me from purchasing the C8 at the moment.
thanks

Rizvan

hi guys;
do you think a firmware update can arrive/will arrive adding eArc to the C8 Oled (and up), its the only thing holding me from purchasing the C8 at the moment.
thanks
I doubt it, why are you holding out for eARC? From what I have read, eARC will add little advantage for most applications unless your going to bespoke content which uses the spec eARC offers.
I doubt we will see any of the current sources changing to make use of eARC, probably due to bandwidth constraints etc.

Get the LG C8 now and enjoy, there will always be new technology all the time.... you can't keep up with it forever.

gkatz

I doubt it, why are you holding out for eARC? From what I have read, eARC will add little advantage for most applications unless your going to bespoke content which uses the spec eARC offers.
I doubt we will see any of the current sources changing to make use of eARC, probably due to bandwidth constraints etc.

Get the LG C8 now and enjoy, there will always be new technology all the time.... you can't keep up with it forever.
i am waiting for eArc because I assume most of 2019 oled sets will have it (the sony A9F already has it) and most of my sources will be able to utilize this feature...

Zigourney

i am waiting for eArc because I assume most of 2019 oled sets will have it (the sony A9F already has it) and most of my sources will be able to utilize this feature...

I wanted to wait for eArc as my Denon x3500h has eArc too. But needed a TV this year when I moved into my new house so couldn't wait and bought the LG C8 65, no regrets, the TV is amazing.

No doubt the 2019 models will have eArc for sure. But that means waiting a year 7-8 months for a price drop.

Rizvan

I don't think most sources will use the upper benefits of eARC.
If you are using a lossless uncompressed 5.1/7.1 audio source to the screen and then want this to go to the amplifier/soundbar then yes, eARC would be a benefit, but in all other situations its probably not worth waiting for and whats stopping you just connecting directly to your amplifier/soundbar first and then connect that tot he screen via ARC?

HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC: everything you need to know

I will be using the most common sources like Sky Q, Apple TV 4K, Amazon Prime etc and I believe none of them use lossless uncompressed due to bandwidth.

For me it is a non-issue as I will be connecting my most used devices directly to my Atmos soundbar... (Apple TV 4K and Bluray UHD Player) and then connect the soundbar via HDMI ARC to the LG C8"
My Sony X700 UHD Bluray Player has dual HDMI out... one for sound and the other for picture.... will run the sound directly to the soundbar and then the picture to the TV.

You could wait for eARC+ or eARC Elite and so on.....

:)

Last edited:

TimRex

I see a lot of people moaning about lip sync issues on the C8. eArc would theoretically solve all such issues for anyone that's able to take advantage of it, so that's a pretty big plus right there.. short of actually fixing the issues with regular Arc.

A lot of AVR manufacturers are backporting eARC to their 2018 models at least, so the benefits can certainly be realised once it becomes commonplace on the display side of things.. At which point, you're ready to take full advantage of any improved streaming audio quality when it happens (however long that might take).

Crafty

I see a lot of people moaning about lip sync issues on the C8. eArc would theoretically solve all such issues for anyone that's able to take advantage of it, so that's a pretty big plus right there.. short of actually fixing the issues with regular Arc.

Why would eArc fix the lip sync problems?

For the record I have no lip sync issues with a C8, regardless of input.

iainl7

I thought I wanted eArc, because I'm going to have to wire all my HDR sources to the TV and then send the audio back to the amp, and losing lossless audio is going to be disappointing.

But then I'm doing that because my amp doesn't support HDR passthrough. As I imagine is the case for every such receiver, it doesn't support eArc either, though, so that's not going to help anything.

TimRex

Why would eArc fix the lip sync problems?

Because it's a required part of the specification that audio latency metadata is transmitted, allowing connected devices to compensate accordingly and remain synchronised.

Regular ARC does have provision for this kind of synchronisation, but it is rarely implemented - or incorrectly implemented.. or possibly the specification just isn't very well defined.

See here: https://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/HDMI-Forum-2.1-November-Release-Presentation-EN.pdf

And this handy informational chart (attached)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 23.46.17.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 23.46.17.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 263

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Regular ARC does have provision for this kind of synchronisation, but it is rarely implemented - or incorrectly implemented.. or possibly the specification just isn't very well defined.

ARC as it stands is part of CEC and CEC can be, and is, modified by just about every manufacturer to attempt brand lock in.
Anynet, simplink, bravialink, vieralink etc. are all manufacturer specific implementations of CEC.

Because of this there are horrendous interoperability problems with both CEC and its most used feature which is ARC.

By far the biggest and most pressing problem solved by eARC is that it is no longer dependant on CEC.

You will need both a screen and an amp/soundbar with eARC to use it.
So , for example, an update on the C8 alone will be useless without an eARC capable amp.

The other “ gotcha “ is you will need a HDMI cable “ with ethernet” as it uses that channels bandwidth.
Non “ with ethernet” cables dont have pins 14 and 19 as a shielded twisted pair, which will be needed for the higher data throughput of eARC.

next010

Distinguished Member
I'd be surprised if they patched it into existing TV's even if the hardware is capable.

TV makers do not have a reputation of giving away free feature updates that they could sell on a newer model.

I hope I'm wrong and it would be particularly annoying if the C8/B8 got it and the B7 did not given the similarity between the B8 and B7 hardware.

TimRex

You will need both a screen and an amp/soundbar with eARC to use it.
So , for example, an update on the C8 alone will be useless without an eARC capable amp.

I guess I could have spelled that out more clearly, but yes.

eArc would theoretically solve all such issues for anyone that's able to take advantage of it

A lot of AVR manufacturers are backporting eARC to their 2018 models at least, so the benefits can certainly be realised once it becomes commonplace on the display side of things..

TimRex

I'd be surprised if they patched it into existing TV's even if the hardware is capable.

TV makers do not have a reputation of giving away free feature updates that they could sell on a newer model.

Some manufacturers are better than others in this regard, for sure.
Samsung are terrible at it (from my experience). LG seem to have done well, at least when HLG rolled around.

I agree, it's unlikely but it would certainly be welcome :D
I just don't relish the idea that if/when I go for a soundbar, i'll have these fun and games to deal with.

I'm not sure eARC is the kind of feature that would prompt anyone to upgrade, or that backporting it to current models would cannibalise sales on new models.
Perhaps if eARC was the only new feature of HDMI 2.1 being offered on newer models, but I expect there would be more to differentiate between them.

Last edited:

kiran_mk2

Now we are in the CES time period the manufacturers will announce HDMI 2.1 features on their 2019 sets as exclusive features to entice people to purchase the newer sets.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom