Quantcast

Is a 7.1 set up possible with a corner sofa?

Kevin Mitchell

Novice Member
I currently have a 5.1 set up from a Yamaha 675 running Bose twin jewels and Sub.

After a bit of fiddling with the receiver i'm guessing I have it as good as it will get.

What I am now thinking is 7.1...!!

We have just ordered a large corner sofa and can't see how a 7.1 layout could be achieved...

The new sofa will be exactly where the two current sofas are but the corner will be filled in where the sub currently is. The sub will move to the right side of the sofa below the book shelves.

CBD70E2C-4D0A-40D2-A2D6-DECBF656BA3D.jpeg

gibbsy

If the new sofa is going to be right in the corner against the wall then stick to 5.1. 7.1 needs there to be room behind the seating for sound to travel and I would say your room is too narrow with the TV in it's present position. By bringing down the surround speakers to just above a seated head height then you could go for a 5.1.2 Atmos set up which would be far more immersive. At the moment stick with 5.1.

Kevin Mitchell

Novice Member
If the new sofa is going to be right in the corner against the wall then stick to 5.1. 7.1 needs there to be room behind the seating for sound to travel and I would say your room is too narrow with the TV in it's present position. By bringing down the surround speakers to just above a seated head height then you could go for a 5.1.2 Atmos set up which would be far more immersive. At the moment stick with 5.1.
Thanks Gibbsy.

To be honest I hadn’t heard of 5.1.2 until after I posted this and stumbled on that set up whilst researching 7.1....
The 5.1.2 sounds great.
I had set the surround speaker height for 5.1 based on a few tutorials but could easily drop them as the cables run up the wall from the skirting height.
What would the normal height be for 5.1.2? Is there a set rule of thumb or just seated head height?
After that would I install ceiling speakers? The house is a bungalow so plenty of loft space above the room. :)

Also, would my Yamaha 675 handle a 5.1.2 set up?

thanks for the advice.

gibbsy

The Yamaha is capable of a maximum of 5.1.2. Speakers, the front especially should be at a seated head height. Surrounds can be set a little higher than that. Have a look at this guide for Dolby Atmos speaker placement.

Kevin Mitchell

Novice Member
The Yamaha is capable of a maximum of 5.1.2. Speakers, the front especially should be at a seated head height. Surrounds can be set a little higher than that. Have a look at this guide for Dolby Atmos speaker placement.

oK, great.

I guess the main question relating to my current products is, are the Bose Jewels Atmos capable?

gibbsy

Personally I'm not a fan of Bose and have never owned any. If you are happy with how they sound then that is all that matters. The most important speakers in any set up are the front three and if any upgrade is forthcoming then this is where you should concentrate your initial budget, the Bose will be find as surrounds. Even with the Bose there are a few simple ways to improve the sound in your room.

The room is pretty sparse and audio would benefit from a good rug on the floor as there are lot of reflective surfaces in the room with the bare walls and floor. Although YAPO will help it is by no means the best room correction available and if looking to upgrade a receiver then Audyssey on board Denon and Marantz receivers is superior.

If you didn't have windows either side of the TV then I would have suggested you bringing the left and right speakers somewhat closer together because of their diminutive size. A lot of people think that new speakers will considerably improve audio quality when it is often the room that is at fault along with speaker placement.

Kevin Mitchell

Novice Member
Personally I'm not a fan of Bose and have never owned any. If you are happy with how they sound then that is all that matters. The most important speakers in any set up are the front three and if any upgrade is forthcoming then this is where you should concentrate your initial budget, the Bose will be find as surrounds. Even with the Bose there are a few simple ways to improve the sound in your room.

The room is pretty sparse and audio would benefit from a good rug on the floor as there are lot of reflective surfaces in the room with the bare walls and floor. Although YAPO will help it is by no means the best room correction available and if looking to upgrade a receiver then Audyssey on board Denon and Marantz receivers is superior.

If you didn't have windows either side of the TV then I would have suggested you bringing the left and right speakers somewhat closer together because of their diminutive size. A lot of people think that new speakers will considerably improve audio quality when it is often the room that is at fault along with speaker placement.
Ah, i had initially thought that the speakers would need to have some kind of Atmos component in them to make them work with an Atmos set up.... so i will indeed bear with these Bose for now and heed your advice regarding the front three upgrades.

We do actually have a large 3mx2m rug on order for when our new sofa arrives so that box is already ticked :)

Again, I will stick with the Yamaha for now and consider the Denon or Marantz in the future.

There wasn't a whole lot of options regarding the front speaker distances, i was tied to where the left one is so just set the right one at the same distance from the centre speaker.

Are there any half decent Atmos ceiling speakers you could recommend without me having to sell a kidney?

Im seeing on the Dolby website that the surround speakers are ideally placed at the same height as the front speakers.

Last edited:

gibbsy

You don't need special speakers for Atmos, apart from those designed to go into a ceiling but they themselves are just an ordinary speaker design. All you have to do is wire them up correctly which will be the to the surround back binding posts on your Yamaha. Then you have to configure the Yahama to tell it that you have ceiling speakers connected.

It should be noted that you will need safety hoods (fire precautions) to go with the speakers. KEF speakers are well worth the money.

Kevin Mitchell

Novice Member
OK, so i'm now obsessing over ceiling speakers for a 5.1.2 ATMOS set up.....:rolleyes:

I'll worry about physical placement when I've got them but I'm guessing just in front of the row of downlights above the sofa...

Can anyone offer advice on the radius size and power of the speakers? I'm seeing a few options springing up for sale.