1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a 300w sub to much for a small room?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by guyb, Jun 9, 2003.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

Do you think a 300w sub will be to much in a small room? I don't want to be over powered by thud and bass but I am not happy with the 100w sub I already have.

Thanks

Guy

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is more to do with subwoofer design that output of the amplifier. The original Q Bass was quite a powerful subwoofer with it's 40 watt amp.

If you buy a "better" sub rather than just a more powerful one, you can always turn the volume down as depth and control are more important than outright volume anyway.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I would be more concerned about the driver size of the sub rather than the wattage. More power should simply lead to less distortion at a given volume (all things being equal which they rarely are). What sub were you thinking of and what is the size of your room?

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The simple answer is no IMHO. I use a Velo CHT-15 in a room 13'x14' and it's in no way overpowering.

There's just one caveat of course, make sure you have it set up correctly in the first place. The sub is only ever as loud as you choose to make it, if you crank the sub volume to 9 and listen at reference level then don't be surprised if structural damge ensues!

5. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jeff

I was going to buy a second hand Kef TDM45B from someone I know.

It has a 15in driver!

The room is about 4.5 m by 7m.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Not exactly a small room... ;)

A 15" sub should be fine, especially if pointing long ways (i.e. its got about 7m before it hits the back wall).

8. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I probably exaggerated the room size, thinking about it the room is probably between 4m by 5.5m to 4.5m by 6m

9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, the specs for the TDM45B have always confused me - it's a 300watt 15" model that is THX certified (can't remember the requirements for THX ultra but I'm sure it was a lot lower than 35Hz) and yet the official stats (as Nathan says) state 35Hz - then again that KEF page also says "Extending right down to 15Hz".

I don't think there's any doubt that it goes deep - I have however heard from someone else that it's not the "fastest" in the 40Hz + range making it much more of a movies than a music sub. If you just want it to move air though then it won't disappoint.

Matt.

10. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,
    I believe the THX spec called for a range of 30hz - 80hz, which was not that strict, but the Kef still doesn't manage it, (which always puzzled me as well).
    I am sure room gain would help it's in home response, but for me I prefer something which reaches deeper.
    I have not yet had a problem with a big powerful sub in a relatively small room, it's the setting up which matters most.

Paul.

11. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using an ASW675 with a 500W amp in a room about 12x18 and once I got the setting right it is well sweet!!

12. BadCamper

BadCamper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently employ a 12" 400W subwoofer sub for a 5.5 x 4.0 meter sized room.

As others have mentioned, I keep the volume well below the maximum, dropping the decibal level on my receiver for the LFE output -8db and having the low-pass frequency knob turned to its lowest setting of 50Hz.

I've listened to movies at "regular" volume settings and the thing was just too rough. I even broke a shotglass once as it was rattled off a table and fell to the ground!