• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is a 1080p TV really required?

Rian1988

I would like to get a new lcd tv preferebly around the £1500 mark I would like it to be as future proof as possible is there any tv's you could recommend me?

I would have liked 1080p, but is the really required? Can sky HD show this? Will HD-DVD's be released at 1080p and is there a big difference between 1080i and 1080p?

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

D

DTSFan2001

jstw said:
I would like to get a new lcd tv preferebly around the £1500 mark I would like it to be as future proof as possible is there any tv's you could recommend me?

I would have liked 1080p, but is the really required? Can sky HD show this? Will HD-DVD's be released at 1080p and is there a big difference between 1080i and 1080p?

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

1. Sky will not show 1080p programming as I think it takes up alot of bandwidth. It does show 720p and the box can output 1080i though.

2. HD-DVD's are already being released in 1080p, it's just there aren't any players that can output it at the moment.

3. As for the difference, yes, there is a big difference. I'm pretty sure the reason being is that 1080i is actually 540 lines which alternate per frame to make up the picture, where as 1080p has a true 1080 lines per frame.

Regards

Ian

Rian1988

DTSFan2001 said:
1. Sky will not show 1080p programming as I think it takes up alot of bandwidth. It does show 720p and the box can output 1080i though.

2. HD-DVD's are already being released in 1080p, it's just there aren't any players that can output it at the moment.

3. As for the difference, yes, there is a big difference. I'm pretty sure the reason being is that 1080i is actually 540 lines which alternate per frame to make up the picture, where as 1080p has a true 1080 lines per frame.

Regards

Ian

Thanks for your quick reply, I tried to ask in another thread but what 1080p Tv's are available or coming out before Jan 07? I already know about the Song X series but there a bit pricey. Do you think prices will come down nearer xmas?

wellibob

Why there wasnt just the one standard i`ll never know (ie 1080), bloody market grabbing corporate companies cashing in again.

D

DTSFan2001

jstw said:
Thanks for your quick reply, I tried to ask in another thread but what 1080p Tv's are available or coming out before Jan 07? I already know about the Song X series but there a bit pricey. Do you think prices will come down nearer xmas?

They might come down a bit, but not drastically. I don't think they will cos as yet there isn't anything that really utilises 1080p (There aren't any players apart from Blu-Ray which do at the mo) You will however have a better choice as practically all the major brands have 1080p panels coming out in the next few months.

hutch

Distinguished Member
I cant understand why everyone is getting hung up with 1080p to be honest, another marketing ploy to confuse people all the more :thumbsdow

The fact it accepts 1080p means nothing if it cant display 1080p and correct me if im wrong but unless your looking at a big panel (60" and above) then most people arent going to see any difference between what is on the market already.

People need to concentrate on processing because that is what is important, not how many pixels your screen has :rolleyes:

hutch

Distinguished Member
jstw said:

Thanks in advance,

Jonny
honestly dont even worry yourself with 1080p

richest

well, the other thing about the new tosh sept range is that it has 1080 p AND 3 HDMI sockets, and.. 100hz prefresh rate.. and so is a better tv i would say. nb 1080p will give a better pic in many situations.. so say the 'informed types' on this forum

anyway, thats why i will wait

gavinhunt`

As mentioned above processing is v.v.v.important and even more so for 1080p panels. That is if you want a watch SD as well as HD. Bottom line is if the signal you feed into you panel doesn't have enough data (SD signals 480p etc)the panel has to make it up to fill all the pixels. The more pixels you have the more it has to make up. So with a 1080p panel the processor has to be far better at doing its job than with a 720p screen or it will look crap. Looking at the reviews both here and in mag's like What Hifi Sound & Vision etc. The Sony processors seem to come across very well in the various reviews and from my own research they seem to have the edge over everyone else. But you should check them out before you buy with your own eyes and decide. At the end of the day it’s your cash!

Habanero

richest said:
well, the other thing about the new tosh sept range is that it has 1080 p AND 3 HDMI sockets, and.. 100hz prefresh rate..

Do you have any more info on this range?

A

Ajazz 87

DTSFan2001 said:

Regards

Ian

The difference depends on screen size, anything under a 47" TV isn't worth paying extra for 1080p.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
and dont forget with DVD/Sky which is 720x576i or 720x480i (NTSC) it takes a lot of scaling to fill 1920x1080 pixel array with picture so if your gong to buy a 1080p panel it had better have a bloody good scaler in it

pixelated

I still think 720p is more than enough for now. 1080p just seems to me like a whole lot of expensive, and mostly depending on your TV size, a bit unnecessary... alas, if you sit one metre away from a 65 inch plasma, go for it :)

nearly 20,000 posts hornydragon... 20,000... good man!

lokideviluk

Standard Member
The new Sony V series will have 2 HDMI's and support 1080p at sizes in the 40" and 46" range, for around £2000 for the 40" seems the best buy.

I bought the original V2000 which only has 1 HDMI and no 1080p support. The PS3 will support 1080p though and thats the only reason I wanted it.

Rian1988

lokideviluk said:
The new Sony V series will have 2 HDMI's and support 1080p at sizes in the 40" and 46" range, for around £2000 for the 40" seems the best buy.

I bought the original V2000 which only has 1 HDMI and no 1080p support. The PS3 will support 1080p though and thats the only reason I wanted it.

Yeh, the X series you mean, I think I'm going to go for the 40" one, but I'm in no rush so I'll wait and see what else hits the market.

richest

good link, we shall have to keep a look out for the new Tosh then.
I was thinking if we can wait, the new Tosh should be out, tested by consumers and reduced price ..by Jan 2007

Chris The Ninja

Forgive me if I am wrong, since I am normally terminally confused on these issues, but I thought when it comes to broadcast material there was effectively no difference between 1080p and 1080i? The reason being that the refresh rate of the TV is 50Hz, however films are only 25fps. Therefore a 1080p screen has to display every full frame twice, duplicating the data. a 1080i screen, whilst only displaying a half image the two half images combine to actually make one full frame. Therefore an image broadcast at 25fps is identical on a 1080i and 1080p.

When it comes to HD gaming like an Xbox things are obviously difference, since it can ouput 50 full frames a second. Not sure what Sky HD outputs or how true HD material is filmed.

Probably going to get flamed for this, aren't I?

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
no chris, your pefectly right, there is no need to run 25fps movies at 50fps, the only taboo is can your tv detect the 1080/50i movie as psf or will it just upscale each field into frames. toshibas exact scan is supposed to do this(force PSF).

personally if they didnt make such a hash of HDMI then they would of had autoswitching to tell the screen it is getting PSF's (and even auto switching to turn the tv over to hdmi! :rolleyes: )

oh well thats progress for you...

bring on Scart V2! :p

richest

Chris The Ninja said:
Wow - not quite a first, but nearly! So is a Toshiba 1080i screen a safe bet? Are there others that are known to handle this correctly?

1080p helps future proofing... ie PS3 and Blueray dvd due out soon.. plus new tosh range will refresh at 100hz

hamster

Yes, but the films are shot in 24 fps, so there is still little point in 1080p. There isn't exactly anything being lost in the interlace - 1080p 50Hz or 60Hz merely repeats it. So 1080i is fully adequate and I for one won't lose any sleep on it.

More numbers marketing.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom