1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 8ft too wide for Cine7?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PhilGrover, May 21, 2003.

1. PhilGrover

PhilGrover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

I currently use a Sony 10HT LCD pj but am hoping to go CRT very soon. I was hoping that you guys might be able to clear up some confusion for me.

I have been told that 8ft is too wide for a Cine6 (appealing due to its silence) and the limit for the Cine7 due to having to drive the tubes too hard. What are your thoughts on this?

I have seen a Runco model (same chassis as Cine7) running an 8ft 16:9 screen at a dealer and the picture was awesome.

I was hoping to use a 4:3 screen setup for three shapes: 4:3, 16:9 and 4:3 inside the 16:9. This would allow 4:3 full screen for Academy movies, and non-anamorphic disks - also Laserdiscs like Jedi which have captions outside the main picture. The smaller 4:3 would be for TV programmes most likely.

Also, the review of the 7LT in What Video spoke of undefined colours in the dark parts of the picture. Are they just being picky or is there a problem there. It is lack of detail in the dark / contrast that I am trying to get away from!

Thanks

Phil

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
  3. PhilGrover

PhilGrover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Gordon.

Any thoughts about the lack of detail in the dark colours reported by WV?

Are my screen plans sensible?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I think the ideal sitting distance for a CRT projector playing scaled DVD is about 1.8 x screen width. For the best quality I would go for a 6ft wide screen and sit at a distance of 10-11ft from the screen. I would only go larger if you have a large room (20ft+ long) and sitting that close looks ridiculous.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Agree with Jeff: I'd sit about 13-16ft from a 100" diagonal screen.

I cannot comment on HCC's review. I didn't set it up. CRT's, unless they are liquid coupled tubes, are not that fantastic at keeping black detail visible when the image has a mid to high average picture level.

ie If it's a really dark scene (Spiderman....that kiss....) They are great. They look really dynamic with lots of detail in dark areas and the image will look DARK not grey. This make things more realistic. However, in a scene where there is quite a bit of bright light this can wash out the dark detail on some CRT's. It's a trade off. Fixed pixel devices are usually very good at keeping black levels consistent in comparison.

Have fun!

Gordon

6. PhilGrover

PhilGrover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My room is nearly 20ft long and 12ft wide, with main viewing position about 15ft from the screen. So it sounds like 8ft wide wouldn't be too far off for 16:9, but a bit big for 4:3?

I don't think dark detail when there is a lot of general brightness would be that much of a problem - it is when the scene is predominantly dark that at the moment everything disappears in the "grey mist" of the LCD!

Thanks

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Every thing you put forwards sound fine to me. I don't know how much non anamorphic stuff you watch but I wouldn't mind betting that you won't end up using the full 4x3 setting.

I've set up and had a play with a few Cine 7's and Lt's now and I have no idea what WV are talking about. (probably about the first CRT they have seen) I know its difficult to reveiw a product and not put a some negative comments in but I would say that properly set up the Cine 7 will cope better than most digital devices with detail in the darker areas.

BArco have at last worked on the fan noise and whilst there is not much space in side the series 7 chasis they have brought the fans away from the back grills which seems to have stopped a lot of the high frequency stuff that was happening due to air flow rather than fan noise.

8. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of a Cine7 or Cine7LT, should I look at any other CRT projectors?

9. KarlRobinson

KarlRobinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run my Cine 7 on a 8ft Screen and have no problems, picture looks stunning.

10. PhilGrover

PhilGrover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have finally gone and done it - join the CRT Fraternity that is... I have gone for a second-hand BarcoData 808s with an 8ft 16:9 screen and Lumagen scaler. All being fitted Monday!

Thanks guys for your help.

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You lucky sod. If only my ceiling was longer :mad:

Congrats and I hope you get many hours of happy viewing. Know you will.