Is 720p and 1080i over component ok?

visioneer

Been looking at a Marantz SR7500 and understand that it will do 720p or 1080i over component but to be honest I'm not sure if this is any good or not. Can anybody explain this to me please?

My LCD is a Tosh 37WLT66 which is 1366x768. Also thinking about future proofing to a degree (in case I change screen etc) as to whether this amp is any good.

Also, any general comments about the amp itself and suitable speakers to go with it?

batts09

Been looking at a Marantz SR7500 and understand that it will do 720p or 1080i over component but to be honest I'm not sure if this is any good or not. Can anybody explain this to me please?

My LCD is a Tosh 37WLT66 which is 1366x768. Also thinking about future proofing to a degree (in case I change screen etc) as to whether this amp is any good.

Also, any general comments about the amp itself and suitable speakers to go with it?

Your tosh will accept 720p as this native resolution is 1280x720 pixels. However it will not do 1080i as this is 1920x1080 resolution which exceeds what your screens maximum. I run my 360 through 720p as opposed to the 1080i as I feel the image is better - both are pretty similar. The i stands for interlaced - these pictures are not complete and the interlacing adds lines to the picture by splitting the frame horizontally, taking up time and lowering frame rate. The progressive (p) already has all the picture there and therfore is smoother and faster. The main benefit of upgrading the screen will be to go from 720p res to 1080p res - which is quite a jump but it does depend on what kit you have to say whether its worth it.

As for the amp, I cannot offer comment but I believe its a serious bit of kit. If so, it should be offering the video signals holy grail @ 1080p over component if the inputting signal is available to offer it however most stuff will not permit 1080p over component, only VGA and HDMI. (eg the 360 will only go upto 1080i, not 1080p over component)

As for speakers, do you want surround kit or individuals? Have a look at the kef 2005 or the Mordaunt Short GENIE for reference.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom