1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 7.1/6.1 just a sales gimmick?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Luisfer, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Luisfer

Luisfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I am new to this forum. I have always been more on the audio than on the A/V side, but I was getting ready to move into home cinema, having bought over the past three or four years a more or less decent TV and DVD. I did some research back then for amps/speakers, and I was now in the process of getting a bit of a refresh on the technology. Much to my surprise, 5.1 seems to be out, with most manufacturers now offering 6.1/7.1. That puzzles me, since most DVD material is still in 5.1. Since the addition of two complete amplifying stages significantly increases the demands on the equipment (power supply, circuitry), not to mention the new signal processing hardware, and thus the price (two extra speakers for starters), I was wondering whether it is REALLY that important to go to 7.1. ¿Isn´t this just a sales gimmick? ¿How far do they plan to go on with this? ¿20.2?Reminds me of the old days of quad back in the seventies: no real enhancement, no good source material, just a way to try to make equipments obsolete and sell more expensive equipment.
    Stereo has been around for decades, but it took a mere five years or so for manufacturers to decide that 5.1 was not enough! Can someone explain this to me?

Luis

Current equipment:

CD player: Denon DCD-835
    Amp: Krell KAV-300i
    Speakers: B&W CDM 7NT

2. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't answer your question, as the same thing is bothering me.

I've listened to 6.1 with a suitable DVD and it is pretty good. However like you say there are not many DVD's with 6.1 let alone 7.1 and then it's not utilised all the time.

As I understand the only benefit to 7.1, is that it splits the rear centre into 2, but both come out the same. PLIIx utilises it for normal discs by using matrixs or something.

I am in the process of buying a new amp at the mo around £400, but I just don't know whether to pay the extra £100 now while I'm at it and get 7.1 capabilities. Hopefully future proofing myself, but then again I might just be wasting money!

Listening to 5.1 on a decent setup though, is still enough to blow my socks off!

3. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Vodder, you ever considered the Pioneer 812 or 912???
    They both offer 6.1 with a mono 7.1 rears...where the rear 2 speakers both produce the same sound, like a false 7.1...
    Both these amps are around £300 and £400 respectfully...?

4. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at the Pioneer 912. Think cheapest I could get it for was £375.

Just thought the Yamaha 740 was the better option all round, but now I am considering the Denon 2803 (if I can get in silver - rare apparently) or the new Marantz 7400, but that might be months I'm told before it is available.

I thought choosing speakers was bad enough! The more I look into all the AMPs , the more harder it becomes to choose one!!

What you recommend out of the Pioneer and the ones I mentioned?