1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 6ft too close for a 42"?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CarlitoBrigante, Dec 10, 2004.

1. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was planning to get the 37" PW7, but am now seriously considering getting the 42", as a friend of mine just bought the 37" and says he wishes he got the 42" (his living room is about the same size as mine). The other thing is that there are some many more decent stands that fit 42" screens better.

The problem is that I will only be sitting just over 6ft away from the screen. Is this too close for a 42" screen, and would it be better to go with the 37?

2. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's all down to personal preference. You could create a poll to see how far other people are sitting away from their plasmas?

Or...don't laugh because I did this...draw it on the wall or create a cardboard cutout to see exactly how big it will look in your room.

I'm sitting approximately 12ft away from my 42" plasma. It seemed huge at first but you soon get used to the size.

3. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
  4. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cut outs on the wall work fine for positioning the plasma, but I would strongly suggest you go and view the plasma in action you have in mind at 6ft. Take a tape measure with you just to check the distance, I was going to go for a 37" but after looking decided to go for the 42".

I sit 11ft away and can't see any pixel structure from this distance but on the other hand Epsom is correct you do get use to the size. :D

Go and get a good demo before you part with any cash :smashin:

5. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I read about you cutting out the life-size cardboard replica, lol. Great idea, although I must admit I did chuckle a bit at first.. ;) I may have to try that this evening, if I can find a piece of cardboard big enough.

:offtopic: I just have a picture in my head of my missus walking in and me having 10 cornflake boxes all stuck together with cellotape mounted in the corner of the living room. She already thinks I'm becoming a bit obsessive over getting a plasma, imagine what she'd think then!

I've measured out how big it will be, and it should fit nicely in the corner of my living room. The problem I am worried about is sitting too close to the screen, as from what I've found on here through the search, some people are worried about sitting even 10ft away!

Does anyone know of anybody who has a 42" and sits less than 7ft away?

6. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :offtopic: I just have a picture in my head of my missus walking in and me having 10 cornflake boxes all stuck together with cellotape mounted in the corner of the living room. She already thinks I'm becoming a bit obsessive over getting a plasma, imagine what she'd think then!

If you are happy with the picture from this distance after a good demo the Misses will love it. I thought it would dominate the room but they actualy make the room seen bigger.

We replaced a Sony 28" widescreen tv with the 42" and she loves it :thumbsup:

7. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Steve, that link was really useful. I'm still trying to 'interpret' the results though..

8. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think she will like it when it's all sorted out, but you're viewing distance sounds like nearly twice the distance of mine! The more I think about this I fell I'm probably being a bit optimistic even considering a 42".

By the way that 'viewing distance' link gave me loads of results, but I can't see anything that says 'minimum viewing distance'. :(

9. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget calculations :nono: get a demo and see the panel in action, you will then know the answer to your question :rolleyes:

10. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, I suppose that's the best way. I'll probably go to my mate's house on Sunday and see how his 37" looks from 6ft away. I should be able to work it out from that.

I just realised that could be taken the wrong way... :blush:

11. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    A lot of people seem to quote some considerable viewing distances for a plasma screen. I can't see the point in buying a larger plasma screen than your current TV and then sitting a lot further away!

I mentioned the link because I thought that you and others may be surprised (as I was) on how close the recommended viewing distance was for a given screen size.

I was quite surprised how close you can get to a plasma screen (with a good picture source) and the image is still great.

Try and have a look in a retailers to get the best idea.

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The general "rule of thumb" is that the minimum comfortable viewing distance is 3 times the width of the screen. The width of a 42" plasma is about 3 feet, so 9 feet is the optimum distance.

13. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just found another site which says this that 5ft 10" is the minimum viewing distance for a 43" screen.

How big should my screen be

Hope this is right. I'll have to check a store later on if I can. I suppose the only screen similar to a PW7 I will be likely to find on the high street would be a Viera (don't they use the same screen technology?).

14. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    Interesting posts guys, i've just used the link and the minimum seems to be around 5-6ft.

I guess that to some extent, it would depend on what source material you are watching too........

Carlito

I'm in exactly the same position. Have funds ready and waiting, unfortunately my living room at the moment is not that big and i'm sitting 6-7 ft away so i'm not realy sure whether to settle for a 32" or go for 37" or 42".

One thing I do notice is that looking at various screen sizes in shops, 32" and 37" do not seem THAT large, however, go up to 42" and things start to look very big, screen, frame etc etc.

I watched some of AOTC on DVD at my local dealer on a 50" Plasma (using Pioneer DVD with HDMI) and I felt most comfortable at around 10-12ft.

That was 50" though so by that reckoning I think 37" would be ok and this is what i'm leaning towards at the moment.

Now if I could just decide between LCD and Plasma :D

edit: just realised that this is the Plasma forum so no guesses what people round here think ;)

15. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Yes, that site states 3 times the picture height!

I've seen a lot of different methods of calculation which would provide quite a wide range of minimum distances.

When you have a look at a screen for yourself, I would look at the make and model that you have in mind to buy. I suspect one particular screen may be great at a given distance and another may not.

PTG gave the best answer.

16. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean. I'm leaning towards a 37" at the moment as well. It seems the sensible choice.

It's a big decision to make, as buying a screen you're not gonna be happy with is such a waste of money. ]

I can't imagine myself looking at a 42" in my living room and thinking "I wish that screen was smaller", but at the same time I don't want it to look so ridiculous that it takes up half the room.

17. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    lol!

the only good thing is that because my 29" 4:3 tv (don't laugh!) is soooooooo deep, I can afford to put a lcd/plasma a 1/2 ft further back becuase there so thin :)

Hell I could even stretch to 7 1/2 ft!

18. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If PQ is important, and it will become so if its bad, then go for 37" SD or 42" HD at this viewing distance. Also, no point good PQ on DVD if most of viewing on terrestrial/Sky.

19. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking the same thing, but then when I've been looking at possible AV stands I'll get with it most of them are about 50cm deep, which is pretty much the same as the unit we have now :mad:

The other problem I have is that if the stand is going to be about 1000mm wide, then I won't be able to fit my subwoofer next to it, and it will have to go elsewhere....

God! This is all so stressfull......!

Is there any particular screen you were considering?

20. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,339
    Have looked at a 32" Hitachi, PD5200 playing Shrek on DVD (via component) and picture was excellent. (only £1500 as well)

Have seen the Pioneer 50" that I mentioned before (excellent) but way to big.

Have also seen the new Pioneer (435FDE?) in action playing both Phantom Menance (good picture but screen shows the limitations of DVD) and some Hi-Def Concet footage, oh my good, awesome!

37" screens are not that common, Hitachi do a version (same as above) Sony do a 37" Plasma but no DVI/HDMI input and the same goes for the Panasonic Viera models (look fantastic, imo) but limited connections and any LCD/Plasma that cannot display HD is out of the running straight away for me.

21. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked at the Panasonic PW7? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for that, as it seems to be commonly rated as pretty much the best thing in my price range. I'm just not sure whether to go for the 37 or the 42 now.

I was considering the Viera at first, as you can pick up a 37" with the cabinet stand for £1999 now, and it has the connections I need already set up with it, but I've decided against it and decided to go for the PW.

22. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    As the owner of a 42" plasma, I can say that you will find viewing uncomforable at 6 feet. I sit 8 feet from mine, and (although it's not bad) I still feel that I should be about another foot further back. The people who usually complain about artifacts on Sky, Freeview, etc, are usually the ones who sit too close to their screens.

23. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I was worried about most to be honest. I didn't think DVDs would be too much of a problem, but Sky seems to be what most people complain about. Thx for that insight.

24. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Isnt it all just about personal preference and aesthetics ? if the screen looks good and the PQ is good than believe me once youve had the screen a week or so it does tend to shrink into the surroundings as you get used to it.
    Loads people who have seen mine have commented wow thats massive (42") and then half way thro a film or footie game they have even commented that "you get used to it" Now we hardly notice the size until we re rigged up the original Tv in another room (32") and it looks like a portable LOL
    As the good lady said "im pleased we went for the larger one (42 rather than 37) cos size really does matter"
    Believe me after a relatively short time you do get used to it and as long as your a decent distance away (do we really have to measure these distances with a tape measure and corn flake boxes on walls ?) it will become part of the family and as nick has said too close can be uncomfortable.
    Cheers
    kevin

25. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL..

Just thinking that I even comtemplated sticking cornflake boxes together now is making me feel ridiculous...

That's right though. Too close can be uncomfortable, and I'm 90% sure I'm gonna get the 37". I just have a nasty habit of changing my mind at the last minute (usually after a few drinks).

26. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bugga it carlito get the 42" rearrange all the house like i did hang it on the wall (looks far more impressive that way imho) youll soon get used to it !!
    I hung mine on a stud wall with all the jiggery pokery that involved strenghtening it and everyones pleased.
    If you do decide on a 42" please please dont be buying all those corn flake boxes !!!!!
    Good luck on your purchase
    kevin

27. PTG

PTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't blame me when you have a demo and think yeh thats good mate I'll HAVE ONE, only to get home and find that you judged your viewing distance wrong :mad: oops should of gone 37"?????

Its a lot of money and its up to you but I would take the tape!

28. Toothy

Toothy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sit 6ft away from my 434HDE, and I find it very comfortable indeed. :)

My eye level of 3ft, (sitting down obviously), is slap bang in the middle of the screen....which is mounted on the desktop stand with speakers fitted underneath.

Many people have commented on how perfect the height of the screen as you don't have to strain your eyes or neck, up or down to view the picture.

Quite how people watch screens that are situated above a fireplace, (way above the natural sitting eyelevel), without getting a sore neck is beyond me. :thumbsdow

29. sniffer

sniffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Last night I hung my PW6. I managed to get the last one from av-sales.
    I sit only 7ft away. I was concerned about the viewing distance but after watching a dvd & playing the xbox last night i can say that im really impressed with the PQ. Even my wife says that going for the 37" would have been too small now & shes the one who originally said that a 14" portable would do.
    Admittedly i havent got sky connected yet so I dont know what difference that would have but sofar its a thumbsup.

I posted a message a while ago regarding viewing distances & someone suggested I go for a 32", so glad I didnt.
    As previously stated you d be better off getting a demo & taking a tape measure to check your distances.

Sniffer

30. CarlitoBrigante

CarlitoBrigante

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that I have no way of rearranging the living room to position it in a better place, as the room is a really awkward shape.

I swear you guys are winding me up now :laugh: I feel more confused than I di this morning what with all the: "go for the 42", you won't regret it" ......"no, go for the 37", the 42" is too big"..etc,etc :laugh: