Is 65NANO866PA a good 65 inch tv for the price

cyanid3

I've been looking for a 65 inch tv for my apartment and didn't see any good deals for a while. Recently came across a deal on Mediamarkt for the LG 65NANO866PA. The 65 inch version is being sold for 800. And I've looked at other models suggested on the forum like the Hisense U8G but they're more expensive than this one and don't have features like the magic remote(I'm kinda digging that).
Also went through Dodgexander's buying guide for this year, but the tvs are a bit more expensive than this one. So I would really like to know if I should grab this or not on the cheaper price.

Thanks a lot in advance.

tvdavid

No the LG is only OK if you watch TV with the lights on.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's not a great TV, that's why it's cheaper and not in the guide.

It's not an HDR-capable TV and with more and more services defaulting to some form of HDR that makes them a poor choice.
It's also an IPS panel which is good for viewing angles, but poor for black uniformity and contrast compared to a VA panel.

cyanid3

Okay perfect. Thanks a lot for the answers. I was only considering it because I thought maybe its not worth it on its usual price but is good value on a cheaper price.
But if it is so bad then I guess there can be no reason to buy it.

Thank you so much :)

Dodgexander

There are no cheaper TVs that are good value, that's why the guide starts at a higher price level.

If your usage only involves SDR material and you have a plan to avoid HDR then you can go cheaper. But that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a new TV.

cyanid3

Reason for buying a new tv: I don't have any tv I've recently moved to a new country.
An the reason I created the post was, maybe because of the price change a tv might become a good deal.
Lets say the latest iphone costs 100 euros on a sale. Even though I would never suggest you an iphone for the normal price, because of the sale, I would say yeah because it beats all phones in this price range, you may buy the iphone instead of any other phone for 100 bucks.

I hope you get my point :)

Dodgexander

Oh, I know what you mean. Everything has a price where it's considered a good deal but it's also important to go for the right TV.

Unless there's a particular reason you want a TV with an IPS panel the LG picked out will be beaten in many aspects buy TVs even cheaper.

The Nano models can be confusing too, they had the same model number in 2020 and 2021 despite being slightly different TVs. The Nano86 is basically a mid-range model, so its motion is better than cheaper TVs but its still not very bright and its IPS panel makes it a terrible choice for using HDR material.

If you're wanting a great deal, check if you can find local stock on higher end models from last year, for example, the Samsung Q90T/Q95T, Sony XH9505 or Hisense U8Q.

cyanid3

Now that makes complete sense to me. Thanks a lot for the detailed reasons. I'll try to look for the tvs from the guide.

Thanks a lot again!

cyanid3

Hi @Dodgexander
I'm not sure if I should make a new post for this one hence I'll ask this here.
So there's a Hisense model being sold on Saturn for ~850 and it is the U87GQ. Is it completely identical to the one in your post, which is a U8GQ?
Would it make sense to go for this deal? Or do you think I should wait and I might get the other ones cheaper? Currently the Samsung and Sony tvs are around ~1200 bucks.

Dodgexander

Its identical to the U8G but it's not the 2020 U8Q model I described in my last post. The 2021 U8G (or in this case U87GQ) is actually a worse TV.

The U8G is only really a good choice if you have a preference to go for a TV with an IPS panel, you can find it in my 2021-22 guide here:

cyanid3

Hi @Dodgexander
I found a deal on amazon.de for the 55U8QF. It is being sold for ~550 Euros.
This seems to be a good deal, is it the same model you suggested over U8G? And I do want a VA panel as I will be using the TV only for myself

tvdavid

That's a better tv go get it.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom