Is 60GB enough?

Sabre_X

Standard Member
I'm about to buy my first SSD. I'll be using it with a couple of 500GB standard HDD's.

The question, as above, is whether 60GB is enough?

Windows 7 64bit. Microsoft Office 2010. Adobe Master Collection CS5.

With windows-updates and little pieces of software and virus-definitions e.t.c... is 60GB enough?

To upgrade to 120GB is an additional £50 roughly it seems. Is it worth it?

Any advice would be much appreciated- thanks!

P.S. Alternatively there are 90GB ones for ~£135 it seems...

Last edited:

FAIL

Standard Member
Well I have a 60gb ssd in my laptop. with windows 7 fully updated and a few programmes like open office and winamp and all the usual stuff a/v ect, plus 3gb of pics and music and a game I have 28gb free.

be aware though if you have a large amount of ram, say 8gb for example your pagefile will be 8gb which is a big chunk of 60gb. you can always reduce it of course. Disabling hibernate can save a bit of space too, also system restore space can be reduced.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Well I have a 60gb ssd in my laptop. with windows 7 fully updated and a few programmes like open office and winamp and all the usual stuff a/v ect, plus 3gb of pics and music and a game I have 28gb free.
That remaining 28GB will soon disappear with Windows updates etc.

I'd agree that 60GB really is the minimum size to use for a Windows 7 OS drive.

Sabre_X

Standard Member
Hi guys. Thanks very much for all your help and advice. For my build I have just purchased:

Case Fractal Design Define R3
DVD Samsung Internal Black DVD RW Writer,SATA Connection,SH-S223C/BEBE
Media Media Card Reader
Mobo Asrock Z68 PRO3 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
RAM 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
CPU Intel Core i5*2400, Socket 1155,*Sandy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.1GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 6MB Cache, 95W, Retail
GPU Sapphire Xtreme Radeon HD5850
SSD OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB 2.5" SATA-II
HDD Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD

It came to £668.09.

Thanks again for all your comments!

Sabre_X

Standard Member
Yeh I definitely considered upgrading the CPU to 2500K and the SSD to SATAIII but I decided in the end that I just couldn't afford it. The CPU upgrade was ~£20 and the SSD upgrade would have been about ~£50 and I was meant to be keeping the build down to £650! :D

Clav

Novice Member
With regards the swapfile, if you have a large amount of RAM you can just get rid of it. Any PC i have with 8Gb+ ram I just delete it and have no ill effects. You might get away with no swapfile on a system with 4Gb Ram, I did test it myself for a bit but did run out of memory a couple of times.

Sabre_X

Standard Member
What exactly is the swap file sorry? How does that work?

BTW I ended up changing it to a SATAIII drive as I found one for only £15 more! :D

MarkE19

The swap file/page file is a file on the HDD that is used to store data that is needed by a running program, but you have run out of RAM to store all required data so it is moved to the HDD. As different data is required by the running program(s) it gets swapped between the HDD's swap file and RAM as each individual part is require.
So if you have enough the OS doesn't need to free up RAM for another program to run, so has no need for the swap file.

Mark.

Sabre_X

Standard Member
Oh I see. Is there a way to specify for it to use RAM only then or get rid of the swapfile on the HDD or does the PC just manage that itself so the more RAM you get the less it puts on your HDD?

MarkE19

The OS should manage the swap file itself. If you have more RAM than is required then the swap file isn't used, but if you do run out then the OS will save data to/from it as required.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom