1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 6.1 really that much better then 5.1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hunkiemunkey, Mar 18, 2003.

1. hunkiemunkey

hunkiemunkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there

I am about to buy a Sony STRDB780 (5.1) and am wondering if it is worth paying an extra £100 or so to get an 6.1 amp. I know it would be more futureproof, but I couldn't justify the cost if it would only make a small difference

What difference the 6.1 make to the sound?

Also, what does the 780 sound like on music?

Many Thanks

John :clap: :eek:

2. nhk

nhk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 6.1 setup and honestly cannot see much advantage over 5.1. To me I did it at the time of setup and only the cost of the added speaker was at stake (using 3803 amp).

Perhaps I am setting up something incorrectly and others can tell me what I need to do.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I just got a Sony 1080 6.1 and in my set up it doesn't make that much of a difference, but my room is only 4m x 2.5m. I new it wouldn't make that much of a difference before I upgraded and I was only really doing it for DPLII and the colour(Silver). I think that in a larger room where your rear speakers are on opposite walls a fair distance apart there can be a 'hole' where the stereo image from your rears don't meet in the middle leaving a 'sonic gap'. In this situation a centre rear channel fills in this gap in the rear stereo image.

4. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for using this thread with a topic that has not been intended for.

Keith, how about DPL 2, has been worth it the extra money agains the normal DPL?

Thanks

5. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes. There is no comparison with DPL.:eek: