Is 50Hz motion worse on HZ series Panasonic OLEDs using the internal Freeview tuner?

Nick74

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Out of interest, how many HZ series OLED owners are watching broadcast content using the internal Freeview Play tuner, rather than an external PVR?

I ask because I feel continually frustrated by 50Hz motion when watching television. There simply isn't a motion option that looks acceptable to me.

With all motion processing off there is considerable blur, along with micro-stutter to varying degrees depending on the programme (I have no idea why some programmes look worse than others). On top of that there are still odd motion artefacts.

Engaging different levels of Blur Reduction helps in terms of perceived motion resolution, but introduces a level of SOE and increases the incidence of motion artefacts. Engaging Film Smooth at even the lowest setting produces heavy SOE and simply looks bad.

All of that relates to watching broadcast content using the my HZ1500's internal tuner. If I watch Now TV or iPlayer content via my Roku box, 50Hz motion doesn't look as problematic. This has set me wondering whether there's any advantage to buying a PVR. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, so thought I'd ask about other owners' experiences.

Out of interest, how many HZ series OLED owners are watching broadcast content using the internal Freeview Play tuner, rather than an external PVR?

I ask because I feel continually frustrated by 50Hz motion when watching television. There simply isn't a motion option that looks acceptable to me.

With all motion processing off there is considerable blur, along with micro-stutter to varying degrees depending on the programme (I have no idea why some programmes look worse than others). On top of that there are still odd motion artefacts.

Engaging different levels of Blur Reduction helps in terms of perceived motion resolution, but introduces a level of SOE and increases the incidence of motion artefacts. Engaging Film Smooth at even the lowest setting produces heavy SOE and simply looks bad.

All of that relates to watching broadcast content using the my HZ1500's internal tuner. If I watch Now TV or iPlayer content via my Roku box, 50Hz motion doesn't look as problematic. This has set me wondering whether there's any advantage to buying a PVR. I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, so thought I'd ask about other owners' experiences.

I watch Freeview and FreeSat via the inbuilt tuner on a GZ950B (OLED).

I also watch Freeview on 40” HX800 & 50” HX800 (LCD/LED TVs).

I’ve not experienced any particular 50Hz motion issues and I would say the motion handling is comparable. It’s not noticeably better or worse than my external Humax receivers.

I have all frame interpolation disabled and I have blur reduction at its lowest setting (1) rather than off.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom